Discuss

KitchenAid Washer Weird Issue -Electrical?

in

Washer Repair

. "

14 year old Kitchen Aid clothes washer stopped agitating etc - I moved the timer selector all over and only

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » KitchenAid Washer Weird Issue -Electrical?

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 AM

zee652 is on a distinguished road
Default KitchenAid Washer Weird Issue -Electrical?
Brand: Kitchen Aid   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

14 year old Kitchen Aid clothes washer stopped agitating etc - I moved the timer selector all over and only heard the timer running. I finally was able to get it to spin to empty it out. I replaced the timer and did a couple loads after verifying that it would agitate. I'm not even sure that these loads actually ran through normally as when I started another load, after filling I had the same issue. (washer in basement so I didn't keep an eye on it.) I'm not sure it's a timer issue anymore, as I find it unlikely that a brand new timer would have the exact symptoms as the old. I did discover that the washer will spin for a short period, after the rinse, as long as the pump is engaged. This is true in all wash cycle settings. When the timer is running and the washer isn't, there is no power going to the solenoid, switch, or motor. It is/was a pretty decent washer and I would like to fix if possible. Thank you in advance for any advice.
eta - Also checked the receptacle/circuit and some contacts and these all were normal.

Last edited by zee652 : 04-02-2013 at 10:23 AM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Expert

Simon / APP Team will become famous soon enough

Hi.

Please, provide the complete model number of the unit.

Simon.
Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM

The model number is KAWS750GQ1. Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Expert

Hi.
Check the wire harness between the timer, speed switch and motor.Check the motor plug.Try to jump the V and T at the water level switch.
It's not clear if the motor is running at all in agitation. Do you hear any humming noise?

Simon.
Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Thank you Simon. No - no humming from the motor. My son bypassed the water level switch and lid switch to do some voltage testing. When the timer was engaged and should have been agitating he noticed a difference in the voltage in one of the connections on the motor switch.He then depressed the little plastic arm on the motor switch and the machine started agitating. So it was the motor switch and I ordered the part a couple hours ago from Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Expert

You are welcome. Good job.

Post the results, please.

Simon.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Well Simon, the motor switch is installed. It will now agitate, empty, spin etc but now the timer won't advance. I can hear the timer running, it sounds as its working fine - which I'm sure it is as this is the 3rd one but I have to manually advance. I don't know what else to do.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 PM

jz78817 is on a distinguished road

I'll chime in here as the one swearing at this machine. With the control panel flipped up and looking into the timer, I can see that the motor is running. There's a smallish white wheel which is slowly turning, and every so often it moves a lever at the bottom of the timer and clicks. however, the actual timing drum next to the motor never budges; regardless of what cycle it's in or which wash mode is active. would the fabric select switch have anything to do with this? The timer is brand new...
Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Expert

Hi.

Check what is the voltage at the timer motor contacts.You should have around 115VAC.
If less - check the wire harness.

Simon.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM

jz78817 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon / APP Team View Post
Hi.

Check what is the voltage at the timer motor contacts.You should have around 115VAC.
If less - check the wire harness.

Simon.
I have 120.3 VAC at the timer motor pins. I put a video up of the timer operating briefly here:

KitchenAid washer timer - YouTube

note that the "wheel" connected to the motor is spinning. The "timing drum" to its right never budges.

(if it matters, the machine is agitating with the lid switch and water level switch both jumpered.)
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.