Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bsktbll  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 12:20:31 PM(UTC)
Bsktbll

Groups: Registered

Ok gents,

I have read a lot of posts regarding brake assemblies but still not clear on how to replace one on my model number (MAV7757AWW). I have the same problem as some other posts in that the tub spins when agitating. I have had the "whirlpooling" effect with water overflowing in the outer tub and onto the floor. Tub does not brake when cycle completes but rather just spins until it stops. I did do a major job a couple months ago replacing the tub seal/bearing kit. Need instructions on this one. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 3:25:46 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
There's usually a couple of things that can cause your symptom. One is the transmission is leaking oil into the brake drum causing it to slip and the other is that the brake lining has come off the rotor. You will need to remove the belt, disconnect the hoses to the tub, unhook the suspension springs from the tub support (milk stool) and pull the whole tub assembly and flip it over. Remove the pulley and thrust washer parts to get to the brake drum. Get a couple 1.5" long 10-24 screws. Remove two of the screws holding the brake drum on and replace them with the 1.5" screws. Leave those two screws in and remove all the other screws. Now, slowly unscrew the two long screws a little at a time to slowly and evenly release the pressure on the brake drum (200lb spring tension). Check the lining on the rotor and check for any oil on the rotor and drum. If there's oil, your transmission is leaking and would need to be replaced. If the lining on the rotor is bad, you can replace the rotor. A broken spring is possible but extremely rare. I would also install a new thrust bearing kit while your at it.

Eric
Bsktbll  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:47:39 PM(UTC)
Bsktbll

Finally got around to diving in a little deeper into this issue. Thanks so much for your help. Problem was as you stated, broken lining on the rotor. Just put the parts on order today. Thanks again for your help!
Bsktbll  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:20:16 PM(UTC)
Bsktbll

Ok. So I received the parts today. Got the new snubber and rotor in place and assembled the stator. Thrust bearing and pulley in place however cannot seem to get the retaining ring to fit into the slot. I am depressing on the pulley but not enough clearance to fit the ring on. Any ideas on what to do next? Clearance is off by about the thickness of the thrust washer. Any help is appreciated!
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:13:07 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yes, this is a common problem. Two things you can do. On one side of the clip, file down the open ends of the clip so that they have a little angle on them. Use a small screwdriver (tweaker) and push it into the groove and pry down while sticking the filed down clip in on the opposite side to get it started. Then just use pliers to get it all the way on.

Eric
Bsktbll  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 7:06:51 PM(UTC)
Bsktbll

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, this is a common problem. Two things you can do. On one side of the clip, file down the open ends of the clip so that they have a little angle on them. Use a small screwdriver (tweaker) and push it into the groove and pry down while sticking the filed down clip in on the opposite side to get it started. Then just use pliers to get it all the way on.

Eric

What a great idea! I was able to use the tweaker and pry down with out having to file the retaining clip. Washer now back together with the brake working fine. What a relief. Thanks again to the Pro's!

BR
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply