Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fixit4meNOW  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:11:25 AM(UTC)
fixit4meNOW

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag PAV3240AWW tub that doesn't spin during the wash cycle, even though the motor is turning. I checked the pulleys and they all spin freely. I changed the belt. I lubed the motor glides at the base. Unit fills and drains properly. During the spin cycle the tub does spin, however, when reaching accelerated speed it abruptly slows down and begins once again attempting to attain speed. Is this a trans problem or coupler issue? Kindy advise.....
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:50:17 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Check to make sure it's not the motor cutting off and on when it abruptly slows and then speeds up again. If it's not the motor, do you notice if the agitator is agitating when it suddenly slows in spin? Check the rotation of the main drive pulley. When you hand rotate it clockwise, it should agitate, rotating counterclockwise should produce spin but sometimes that doesn't work when doing it by hand. If it agitates when rotating CCW, the transmission is bad. If it appears to be working correctly, I would intall a new thrust bearing kit.

Eric
fixit4meNOW  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:41:37 PM(UTC)
fixit4meNOW

Eric, I checked the main drive pulley with the belt disconnected and when rotated clockwise the agitator engages turning one way then reversing, however the drum does nothing. When rotated counterclockwise the agitator engages once again meanwhile the drum does nothing. After reinstalling the belt, I ran through cycles and the drum tries to turn then stops, all the while the agitator is working up to speed. Still suspect the trans?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:00:57 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

When you say the agitator is "working up to speed", are you saying the agitator is spinning in one direction? or is it agitating back and forth? Remove the front panel. What is the transmission housing doing during spin?

Eric
fixit4meNOW  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:11:42 PM(UTC)
fixit4meNOW

The front panel has been off the whole time. The agitator goes back and forth in both the wash and spin cycles. The drum attempts to turn then stops. Viewing the trans housing from the front of the machine, the housing doesn't turn.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:44:49 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

The transmission is bad. The main pulley drives the agitator shaft. It should not be able to drive it in the counterclockwise direction independent of the transmission. That is, in spin mode, the transmission housing and agitator shaft turn as a unit. The transmission input pinion gear has an anti-backup mechanism that normally prevents it from rotating CCW independent of the transmission housing.

Eric
fixit4meNOW  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:46:02 PM(UTC)
fixit4meNOW

Do I need to replace the entire trans or is there a repair possible?
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:33:50 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Parts are not available for this transmission, non-repairable.

Eric
fixit4meNOW  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:11:11 PM(UTC)
fixit4meNOW

Eric, I truly appreciate your efforts and all your input. With a machine thats around 8 or 9 years old I would probably be most served to look for another machine rather than sinking big bucks into this Amanatag...you agree? Regards, Vince
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:51:05 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

I wouldn't know what to recommend. I have an 11 year old GE top loader that Iv'e recently replaced the transmission and motor in and I will keep fixing it because I will not buy one of the new pieces of junk they are selling these days. I don't want a front loader, the newer GE type are very problematic and the new Whirlpool belt drives also sold as Kenmore, Maytag, Roper and others is a total piece of crap. Breakdown after breakdown on a washer design only 3 years old. Not to mention the fact that these washers don't use enough water, you have to use HE detergent in very small amounts, long wash times...etc. etc. All thanks to the strict government energy standards for washers, and things will get worse starting in 2014.

The Curse of Government Washing Machines by Karen De Coster

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply