Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
heritageadam  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:23:36 PM(UTC)
heritageadam

Groups: Registered

My "whirlpool ultimate care heavy duty super capacity plus clear touch" top load washer recently started making a clunking sound. It still runs through the entire wash cycle & at this point is working. video 206_0843 - YouTube I checked the coupler but it looked ok. what's wrong & how do I fix it?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:31:04 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds to me like the plastic spin gear in the gearcase has some stripped teeth on it or a piece broken off. Just because it's easy, pull the pump off and try it, but the rate of the noise (every 1/2 second?) makes me think it's the spin gear. What is the model number of the washer?

Eric
heritageadam  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:58:12 PM(UTC)
heritageadam

Hi, thanks for the response. One detail I'll add to the video in the first posting is that it would only make that noise on spin cycle. here's an update: tried washing one more load of clothes and now the agitator doesn't spin at all but the machine makes a loud constant noise on spin cycle as shown in this new video: 206_0844 - YouTube I can see the coupler spinning (hard to see in the video) so what is being described above seems to fit. haven't had time to take it apart yet but if this changes your opinion let me know. thanks. also was able to finally find the model # LSL9244EZ0 Stock LSL924EE
Planning to take it apart this weekend.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:19:49 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, that's an old one, 96 or so? Check the clutch hub while in spin mode. If the gearcase input shaft is spinning and the clutch hub isn't, it's definitely a gearcase problem. When you pull the agitator, clean the exposed part of the agitator shaft as best you can to prevent damage to the spin tube seals when you pull the gearcase. Here's a pdf of the parts manual for your washer.

Eric
heritageadam  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 7:25:38 PM(UTC)
heritageadam

I've got it apart. You were definitely on the right track. see video
206_0845 - YouTube

the clutch seems OK, pretty good resistance in trying to move the inside part so I think it's fine.

Opened up the gearbox, found the problem, all the teeth are torn off the plastic gear.

question is now what to do? I see a new plastic gear runs about $85, I assume i'd have to drain & take apart the gear box to make sure I got all the plastic pieces out, refill it, new gasket, vs just buying complete gearbox for $190. What do you recommend?

Thanks again, you had the right assessment.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 7:51:33 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

You can buy the neutral drain kit from pc appliance parts, part no. 388253 for $16 and it comes with the spin gear. It does not include the metal pinion gear but you probably don't need it anyway. You might as well replace the neutral drain parts as they can wear out which would cause the washer to drain and spin at the same time. There is no cover gasket. Just use something like permatex form-a-gasket or similar that is oil resistant. You can replace the oil with any high grade 80w-90 gear oil. It takes about 15 oz. Fill it to just below the top edge of the lower case.

Eric
heritageadam  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 8:26:36 PM(UTC)
heritageadam

I think that all sounds just great. I'll order it & give it a shot!

Thanks, I'll let you know.
heritageadam  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:45:53 PM(UTC)
heritageadam

I was able to find a transmission rebuild kit (with the spin gear) locally at a parts store for $29 so picked that up this morning. disassembled the transmission, took it all apart & cleaned it out. the plastic chunks were in some of the metal gearing. It was overdue for an oil change. put it all back together, oil, gasket & it's back in business, on the 2nd load of clothes now. thanks for your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply