Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TommyK  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 8:31:32 AM(UTC)
TommyK

Groups: Registered

This week, my wife set about washing clothes. About half way through the wash cycle, the smoke alarm in the basement went off. She went down and a pall of smoke filled the rafters and a very pungent odor was emanating from the stacked washer/dryer.

She punched the control button to shut the thing off. The smoke abated and the odor has dissipated somewhat.

The smell is like hot electronics. A similar smell came from the previous washing machine, near 5 yrs ago. No obvious wires, switches or other electricals showed signs of heat or damage, only a stinking motor. I determined the motor had burned up. I ordered a new motor at the cost of a hundred or so dollars, maybe more. I don't rightly remember. I installed the motor, buttoned it all back up and turned it on. Again smoke and stench arose from the aging avocado green clothes washer. Having become disgusted with my lack of washing machine prowess we decided that since the old, formerly trusty washer had outlived it's usefulness, we decided not to sink any more time and treasure into. it We replaced it with the unit that stands before me.

My question is, could the problem be in the timer causing two contacts to be contacting simultaneously which shouldn't be contacting, lest smoke and stench arise from it? Could it be the capacitor? Could the transmission be seized? How do I check?

FYI. The washing ceased at the end of the 15 minute wash cycle with drained tub and spun out clothes. The timer stopped a few ticks before the 'Rinse' icon.

The Electric dryer unit continues to perform normally. We have since been able to dry several loads
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 5:14:39 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Tommy

Sorry to hear about your problems. The unit you purchased is a pretty good unit. While the specs don't say specifically that your motor has overload protection, almost all of these motors do, so this should not have happened. Not much comfort, though.

I don't think your timer or capacitor caused your problem. It is likely that either

1. The motor failed on its own.
2. The motor failed because the transmission locked up
3. The motor failed because the tub bearing failed and locked up.

You need to take the machine apart and see if you can turn the transmission pulley. If can not turn clockwise, it is probably seized and will have to be replace. If it will not turn counterclockwise you need to check the bearings to see if they or the transmission or both are the problem.

Here is the service manual for your machine. Good luck.

http://frigidaireservicetips.com/pdfs/488_3.pdf
TommyK  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 4:46:35 AM(UTC)
TommyK

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tommy
I don't think your timer or capacitor caused your problem. It is likely that either

1. The motor failed on its own.
2. The motor failed because the transmission locked up
3. The motor failed because the tub bearing failed and locked up.

You need to take the machine apart and see if you can turn the transmission pulley. If can not turn clockwise, it is probably seized and will have to be replace. If it will not turn counterclockwise you need to check the bearings to see if they or the transmission or both are the problem.

Here is the service manual for your machine. Good luck.

http://frigidaireservicetips.com/pdfs/488_3.pdf

Clockwise as one is looking up from below?
TommyK  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 5:02:06 AM(UTC)
TommyK

I am assuming from the odor, the motor is toast. How can I check to see if it is still functional or in fact toast?
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 5:15:48 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Take the belt off the motor and see if it will turn withthe washer in spin mode and the lid closed.

Turning the pulley should allow you to turn the tub in the spin direction.
TommyK  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:16:02 AM(UTC)
TommyK

Okay, I now have time to work on it. For reference sake, the washer did not stop of it's own volition. When the smoke alarm went off, my wife manually shut it down by pushing in on the timer button.

Just to verify the source of the smoke I opened the front panel and ran through a couple complete cycles. I set the water level high, then ran it through the 15 min Whites, then through the 12 minute Colors cycle. All works without a hint of smoke.

However, After two complete cycles, in relatively short succession, I laid my finger on the center stack of plates making up the motor. Armature? I could not hold my finger on it for more than a couple seconds, it was very warm to the touch, but no smoke or obnoxious smells.

How hot should the motor be allowed to run?

Motor info:
Model: C67PXEJA-4404
3/4 h.p.
40° C max amb. INS CLASS F
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2009 4:31:54 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Boy, I don't know. If the motor works though, you should be able to continue to use it. These motors should have overload protection to prevent them from burning out.
TommyK  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:57:11 PM(UTC)
TommyK

Well, we're going to continue to use it and see what develops. We will just be sure to not leave it unattended during operation. Mamma and I have plenty of work that can be done in the basement while it goes through its paces.

Mamma did say that the load previous to the one in the washer when it smoked was a full load of bluejeans, read heavy. The next was whites.

Logically, if it was going to pitch a hissy, it should have done so under full load. :confused:

I'll keep you posted.
TommyK  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:52:39 PM(UTC)
TommyK

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply