Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
appman96  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:38:17 PM(UTC)
appman96

Groups: Registered

I replaced the Coupler (the old one was worn). I then ran a test cycle. It filled with water fine, then after it filled nothing happened. As the switch went to cold rinse, the agitator started working. Everything sounded fine, but then I began to smell smoke. After a minute, I began seeing it coming from the back. I unplugged, and removed the shell and looked for signs of smoke along back and bottom. Could see none.

I tried it one more time. When I saw smoke, I quickly removed shell. Still can't seem to detect the source, and I worry about letting the washer continue with smoke coming from somewhere.

Any chance it could be the new coupler? (ie. rubber burning)

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 4:15:51 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
What were the symptoms that caused you to replace the coupler? Sounds like you may have a bad timer. You need to run the machine with the cabinet off (lid switch bypassed) and control panel open to determine where smoke is coming from. After it fills, you say it does nothing but the timer keeps advancing. Is the main drive motor dead quiet at that point?

Eric
appman96  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 4:53:46 AM(UTC)
appman96

Thanks for the quick reply.

The washer stopped spinning. I checked the coupler and it was worn, with two of the three plastic sticks broken off. I got a new one, replaced it and put motor back on. When I did a test run, it fills, then nothing happens but I hear ticking. But once it goes to Cold Rinse, it starts aggitating. Everything sounds fine, but I can smell something burning. I see slight smoke coming from the back of the machine.

If I go to spin, it empties the tank as expected. I haven't let it run for more than a minute.
USCgEEk  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 9, 2013 9:51:07 PM(UTC)
USCgEEk

i recently replaced my 12+ year old Kenmore Elite #110.20936993 motor coupler as it broke again (4th time)...replaced it with the new ones that have reinforced metal centers...first or second load started to smell something plastic or rubber burning....spin never worked from that point forward unless i opened/closed the lid or pushed/pulled the dial timer...replaced the clutch (complete) today, washer is back in action...

hope this helps!! :cool:
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:04:56 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
He is seeing/smelling smoke during agitation, not spin mode. appman96, you didn't answer my question and did you look for the problem with the cabinet off?

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply