Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vervecovers  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:58:57 PM(UTC)
vervecovers

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I'm just a DIY homeowner who has run into some washing machine trouble so please forgive my ignorance on this topic.

Agitator on my Kenmore washing machine wasn't working so I decided to see if I could fix it. The thing is old and it was free so I figured worst case scenario is that we have to buy a new one so I might as well see if I can do anything about it.

Got inside and turns out the motor coupling was broken. The little plastic pegs had sheered off and the isolator was shredded.

Went to a parts store and bought a new coupling. Came home, installed it, started it back up and agitator was working fine.

I danced and celebrated until it switched to the rinse cycle and the machine went quiet.

When taking the motor out it was recommended to take the drain pump off first. I tried and tried, but it wouldn't budge so I wound up disconnecting the hoses and just taking the whole thing out together.

When I got it out I tried again to free the drain pump, but couldn't get it. I then looked closer and it looks like the drive shaft(?) had rusted to the drain pump.

That was the only thing I could find with the washer (aside from the broken coupling) that looked out of sorts.

I guess the thing that is confusing is that the machine makes no noise whatsoever in any cycle other than fill and agitate.

I skipped over the drain and refill for the rinse and it did its agitation again, but when it got to where it should have drained and then spun, it just went quiet.

In summary: Replaced the motor coupling and now the machine will fill and agitate, but all other cycles are just dead.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

I'm hoping there's just some bonehead first timer thing I'm not thinking of here.

Thanks,
Darren
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.