Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mab20854  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2013 6:07:12 AM(UTC)
mab20854

Groups: Registered

We have a GE Front loading washer which has been great so far. Model GFWS3500L0WW. All of a sudden it will not stop filling with water. The water runs continuously. Here's some background:

This washer, when you first press the 'start' button, goes through a 'test' cycle before the water starts. The door locks, then the basket rotates once each way. Then the door unlocks, and locks again. After that, the water starts filling the machine and the wash cycle starts. This has been the normal operation of the machine since we got it.

Now, when we press the 'start' button the water starts immediately, while the machine goes thru the test cycle. So, the door locks, and the water immediately starts and runs through the test cycle. The basket does its usual back and forth. Then the door unlocks - the water stops. Then the door locks and the water starts again but does not stop.

This occurs even in the "drain and spin" cycle where I would think no water would run.

I turned off the hot water valve at the wall and the water stopped filling the machine. This allowed the drain and spin cycle to actually drain the clothes and spin them.

So seems something is up with the hot water in this machine?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 5:01:23 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I have no experience on this model and probably the people like me who volunteer to respond on this site do not either, so about the best that we can say is to try and replace the control unit and see if that fixes things.

Sorry not to be able to tell you more.
mab20854  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:22:42 AM(UTC)
mab20854

Thanks for the suggestion. Whats strange is that now, the hot water seems to be working ok. I'll have to keep a close eye on it. The fact that the issue stopped after some time seems to suggest the control board may be faulty.

If it happens again I'll look into the control board and post my findings here.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:13:06 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Okay good, hope it continues to work well.
mab20854  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:09:39 AM(UTC)
mab20854

So, this issue started occurring again. I ordered the control board assembly, GE part number WH12X10485. Once it arrived I went ahead and took the original one out and put the new one in. It DID NOT resolve the problem. The hot water would run continuously...

So I looked around the inside. The wire that connects the control board goes directly to another "power board":

Part Number: AP4981002
MFG Part Number: WH12X10484
Made by: GE

Read more: GE WH12X10484 Power Board Asm - AppliancePartsPros.com
Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts

I figured this may be faulty, so I began to remove it. There are 3-5 different electrical connections to this power board. I noticed one to be loose. It was connected to the pins, but barely. It was not "locked in". I pressed down to 'click' the connection to the board. I plugged the washer in and started the 'drain and spin' cycle - and the hot water didnt run! Could that have been the problem?

I went ahead and replaced the control board with the original board, and the washer continues to operate without problem. Again, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Hope it doesn't happen again. Its a pain to take the dryer off the top!
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:22:17 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

That certainly sounds like you have fixed the problem.

Good luck and let us know if the problem develops again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply