Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Washer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/)
-   -   slow spin (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/515941-slow-spin.html)

tresor 01-21-2013 05:55 PM

slow spin

2 Attachment(s)
hi,
The machine spins slowly, not letting all the water out of the clothes.
We alreaty replaced the water pump, but still the same problem. There was also a slight burning smell after the last wash. It doesn't leak, no other issues.

Also, I'm attaching a photo of a part that we are not sure what it is and if it is normal. Looks like a brace of sorts that should be closed.?..but we have no idea. Couldn't find it on the website.
Any help would be sooo appreciated. thank you!
maria

Gene 01-22-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tresor (Post 795704)
...The machine spins slowly, not letting all the water out of the clothes.
We alreaty replaced the water pump, but still the same problem...

...Also, I'm attaching a photo of a part that we are not sure what it is and if it is normal. Looks like a brace of sorts that should be closed.?..but we have no idea. Couldn't find it on the website...

Hi Maria,

The slow spin (wet clothes) could be caused by: unbalanced load; a clogged hoses to and from the drain pump; a bad drive block (#10 at the diagram); a bad basket drive (#1 at the diagram) or a bad clutch (#5 at the diagram). You can find more information in one of our previous threads: http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...-spinning.html

- The drive block Part number: 389140

Part number: 389140

- The spanner wrench (needed to access the drive block) Part number: TJ90TB123A

Part number: TJ90TB123A

- The basket drive Part number: 285792

Part number: 285792

- The clutch assembly Part number: 285785

Part number: 285785

The part on your picture is the suspension spring. It looks not so bad and I don't think it needs any attention so far.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Whirlpool LC4900XTW0 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

tresor 01-22-2013 06:50 PM

hi Gene,

Thank you so much for this info. Should we replace all these parts, one at a time to see which is the true culprit? Which would you start with?

On the suspension springs, should those braces at the base be "closed" somehow?

I so appreciate all your help.
maria
=======================

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 795886)
Hi Maria,

The slow spin (wet clothes) could be caused by: unbalanced load; a clogged hoses to and from the drain pump; a bad drive block (#10 at the diagram); a bad basket drive (#1 at the diagram) or a bad clutch (#5 at the diagram). You can find more information in one of our previous threads: http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...-spinning.html

- The drive block Part number: 389140

Part number: 389140

- The spanner wrench (needed to access the drive block) Part number: TJ90TB123A

Part number: TJ90TB123A

- The basket drive Part number: 285792

Part number: 285792

- The clutch assembly Part number: 285785

Part number: 285785

The part on your picture is the suspension spring. It looks not so bad and I don't think it needs any attention so far.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Whirlpool LC4900XTW0 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Gene 01-22-2013 10:24 PM

Replacing parts without proper troubleshooting is wasting of money and time. I would suggest to open the thread I posted for you and read all instructions.

Gene.

fairbank56 01-23-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tresor (Post 795704)
Looks like a brace of sorts that should be closed.?..but we have no idea. Couldn't find it on the website.

The clamp laying loose on the bottom are used during shipping. The springs are compressed, the clamp is closed to hold them in the compressed position and a key is installed to keep the clamp from opening. Straps are attached to the keys and the straps are positioned up over the top and down into the tub. During initial installation of the washer, you open the lid, yank on the three straps to pull the keys out to release the clamps which releases the springs.

Eric

tresor 01-24-2013 03:39 PM

Thank you, Eric! I appreciate this answer.

tresor 01-24-2013 03:42 PM

I watched the video on replacing the clutch, but did not see an example of what a 'bad' clutch looks like. Does anyone have a description or a photo? What evidence to look for to know that the clutch is bad and needs replacing?
thank you!

Gene 01-24-2013 03:54 PM

Did you check the drive block and the basket drive tube yet?

Did you see any signs of leaked oil?

Gene.

tresor 01-24-2013 03:57 PM

There are no signs of leaking oil.

Gene 01-24-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 796277)
Did you check the drive block and the basket drive tube yet?

Gene.

What about this question?

Gene.