Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KJH1961  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:36:43 PM(UTC)
KJH1961

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I need some help with my Maytag washer. This washer has worked great and never made any unusual noises until recently. I have replaced several parts in the past including the timer, two belts, electric motor, motor glides and water pump. The washer was having a problem where the agitator was barely moving, but would spin and pump out the water.

I removed the old brake assy. which had several (8) screws and noticed that the brake material on the hub was almost down to the metal surface of the housing. I reinstalled the old brake unit, but wasn't sure how far to tighten the screws. When I tried the operation of the washer it would fill and go thru the cycle and agitate, but still wouldn't spin. I then loosened the screws on the old brake and then operated the washer and it would spin, but wouldn't agitate.

After doing some internet research and several blogs and posts most pointed to the brake assy. So, I figured I would try installing a new brake assy. #6-2011900. I ordered the brake and tool thru your company and installed two days ago. The installation was easy, the only issue was I had to remove the old bearing from the old brake housing. I checked the bearing and it was ok and greased and reinstalled the bearing on to the new brake assy.

I operated the washer and it agitates great, like it use to and makes no noises, not until it gets to the spin cycle then the drum doesn't spin and there is a whining sound which sounds like the belt. I took a flashlight while it was on the spin cycle and can see the motor pulley spinning and the pump working, but the belt going to the drum pulley (center) is not moving. I tried moving the pulley by hand to see if the drum moves, but it doesn't. I can spin the drum by hand from inside the washer.

The lady I was talking to from appliance parts mentioned about the brake not releasing. Could this possibly be a defective brake assy? Are there any things I can check? It's just odd everything worked correctly on this washer until the brake unit failed and now I can only get the agitator to work. Does this new brake assy. take a different bearing than the original bearing?

I'm at a loss......can you possibly help?

Sincerely

Kevin Hoffman
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.