Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StephKing  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:26:19 AM(UTC)
StephKing

Groups: Registered

My maytag ensignia washer will fill with water but then nothing happens. A repair guy told me it was he timer & wants to charge me $300 to fix it. I don't mind getting the part & fixing it myself but after reading some other problem solving forum, it may not be the problem. Help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:19:46 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
After it fills and stops, does the timer advance on it's own? If you advance it manually, will it drain and spin? If not, most likely the lid switch.

Eric
StephKing  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:07:48 PM(UTC)
StephKing

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
After it fills and stops, does the timer advance on it's own? If you advance it manually, will it drain and spin? If not, most likely the lid switch.

Eric

The dial does not advance on its own. I even tried to advance be knob a smidge thinking it maybe got caught or something, but nothing. If I manually turn it to spin, it will. Thanks!
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:24:13 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Then it may be the water level pressure switch. Open the control panel, the switch is on the left side. With washer off, remove and jump together the yellow and gray wires. Set timer to start a normal cycle, it should start agitating right away.

Eric
gregaguilar  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:16:04 PM(UTC)
gregaguilar

fairbanks56 how are you doing quick question? how do you go about testing the shifter on the maytag mvwx700 washer? I have one that does the same it just blinks--lid switch i mean thanks
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:40:23 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

There should be a manual inside the cabinet of your washer that explains how to get into diagnostic mode and the various tests for the shift actuator.

Eric
gregaguilar  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:15:59 AM(UTC)
gregaguilar

on maytag diagnostic there is no diagnostic sheet in or on machine i have looked but thanks any way
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:39:48 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

This is a Whirlpool vertical modular washer design. There are slight differences between Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore...etc. but they are all essentially the same overall design. Some models have the old style water level pressure switch and others have a pressure sensor that is an integral part of the computer control board. There are also slight differences in the wash cycle indicator LED's.

Eric
StephKing  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 5:58:46 PM(UTC)
StephKing

Eric! You rock! So the repair guy said the problem was either the timer or the motor. Timer replaced, didn't agitate. He didn't bring the motor so had to go pick one up at parts store 4 towns away. Motor replaced, still not agitating. He basically told me to go washer shopping. I laughed but was annoyed. I told him about this site & the answers I got. He laughed & said with a cocky attitude that he already checked the water pressure connection. He pulled down the control panel to show me but the second he touched the wire, the agitator startd immediately! Needless to say, he was speechless. Thank you so much for saving me from buying a new washer! I will definitely use you guys again!:)
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:41:36 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, I hope he didn't charge you for all that wasted time and parts. I wouldn't call him again. Since it drained and spun ok, that indicates the motor is ok. For agitate, the power feed to the start winding is reversed which is accomplished at the timer. A lot of "appliance techs" don't know how to use a logical troubleshooting procedure and don't have training/experience at electrical troubleshooting. They just throw parts at it til it's fixed or they give up. Anyway, glad you got it fixed. Keep that thing going cause you don't want one of the new piece's of junk they are selling now :rolleyes:

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply