Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
histylerider  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 1:01:56 PM(UTC)
histylerider

Groups: Registered

Got hit by storm, knocked down power lines outside the house, blew up some light bulbs, messed up a circuit breaker or 2, ruined a TV Cable box, etc., from sending mucho juice thru the place, wreaking havoc on several circuits inside, and it seems to have overloaded, or fried something inside the washing machine.

It still fills, and drains, but doesn't agitate or spin. I tried the simpler stuff, unplugging, multiple opening and closing the lid within 15 seconds as per GE's website and so on, but it still doesn't work right. I suspect it might be the "main board" part number WH12X10524 but I'm not sure. Is this likely to be partially fried by a big jolt of electricity, or is there something else that might have taken the hit and caused this machine to go on the fritz?

I haven't opened it up yet because I am guessing this is a logical train of thought question for someone in the know, and I'd rather have the parts ready before I start making a mess of the laundry room.

I'm not makin' the big bucks I'd like to be, so doin' it myself is my best option. Since I'm handy with tools and am less stupid than I look, I figure that with a little guidance, I probably won't drown during the rinse cycle!:D
Thanks in advance,,,,,,
Shaun
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 5:30:43 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

He Shaun

This model has an inverter on the motor which flashes error codes.

See if you are getting any. Here is a guide to help you.

HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

If want to try and replace the board you can buy from this site, and if the part does not fix the problem you can return it.

Good luck, hope this helps.
histylerider  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:27:09 AM(UTC)
histylerider

Sidfink,
Thanks for the reply, I'll try to open it up this weekend and see about that light blink. I assume the motor is in the base rather than up top, so I'll need a little more working room than I first thought, also.
I understand the site lets you return parts if need be, but I'd just as soon try for confirmation of some sort before putting both thru the process.
I'll keep you posted as to my frustrating misadventures!!
Shaun
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 8:26:36 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Great, good luck.
ryder  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 8:35:25 AM(UTC)
ryder

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Great, good luck.

Sidfink, check our thread last week on this issue. Surges are a much bigger problem than you think. Also, any comments on my last response?

ryder
histylerider  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 9:09:47 AM(UTC)
histylerider

Sid,
I opened the washer up this morning, and it appears that this one has no fuse in the line mentioned, as per the directions you led me to. and I'm not seeing ANY lights, tho it says I ought to be seeing one "under the white flap". I'm supposed to see a red led type light, but I don't. I tried resetting by unplugging, waiting a minute, then re-plugging and opening and closing the lid quickly a half-dozen times and more, but still see no light.
If there's no fuse to blow, what's the next most likely issue, remembering that the whole house was jolted by a massive charge. What part of the washer is first in line to be damaged by a burst of electricity?
[COLOR="Red"]Dangit,[/COLOR] why no fuse to simply swap out?
ryder  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 9:54:59 AM(UTC)
ryder

Originally Posted by: histylerider Go to Quoted Post
Sid,
I opened the washer up this morning, and it appears that this one has no fuse in the line mentioned, as per the directions you led me to. and I'm not seeing ANY lights, tho it says I ought to be seeing one "under the white flap". I'm supposed to see a red led type light, but I don't. I tried resetting by unplugging, waiting a minute, then re-plugging and opening and closing the lid quickly a half-dozen times and more, but still see no light.
If there's no fuse to blow, what's the next most likely issue, remembering that the whole house was jolted by a massive charge. What part of the washer is first in line to be damaged by a burst of electricity?
Dangit, why no fuse to simply swap out?

Even a surge protector may not protect against lightning. I would call your homeowners insurance co & make a claim for all the damage including replacing your machine as many parts were probably damaged or weakened so they will fail later.

ryder
histylerider  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 5:05:07 PM(UTC)
histylerider

Ryder, thanks for joining in. Unfortunately, insurance has $500 deductible, and won't kick in enough to do us any good at this point. I need to get this fixed, at least for now. Any ideas on what's most likely?
Thanks,,,,,,,,,,
ryder  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 5:49:40 PM(UTC)
ryder

Originally Posted by: histylerider Go to Quoted Post
Ryder, thanks for joining in. Unfortunately, insurance has $500 deductible, and won't kick in enough to do us any good at this point. I need to get this fixed, at least for now. Any ideas on what's most likely?
Thanks,,,,,,,,,,

I suspect the main control board in front & probably the inverter, maybe even the motor. The maching is probably not worth fixing. Look on craigslist, find another used one or a new one on sale.
Good luck.
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 7:19:13 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The washers that have the newer motor/inverter with red LED under the flap do not have the fusible link. The motor/inverter is connected to line voltage all the time, even with machine off. Looks like the motor/inverter is toast. Since it fills and drains, the main control board may be ok.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply