Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GEAngel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2008 7:34:40 AM(UTC)
GEAngel

Groups: Registered

The washer is making a loud noise and sounds like a loud cicking or knocking sound as it's agitating. It almost sounds like a belt slipping or something along those lines. We've run it through the entire cycle with no clothes in it and it still makes the noise although it seems to go through the cycle fine. Dad was going to open it up and take a peek but we can't even figure out how to get into it! There is no access panel and even the bottom is completely closed. Are we just missing it somewhere? :confused: Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ripleys  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:30:23 AM(UTC)
ripleys

Groups: Senior Expert

Click on your model number to give you the part and number breakdown that I am refering to.
First and easiest thing is to grab the inner spin basket (part 316) and move it back and forth. If there is movement and noise I wold suspect that the TORX screws that hold the tub base (part 323) have came loose and the inner spin basket would need to be removed and turned upside down and the TORX screws need tightening. Paint or lock-tite the screws to prevent this from happening again. If left loose severe damage could occur to your washer. The other part that may give you the noise you described would be the tub cover (part 329). If the seal in the tub cover gets worn out the tub cover will slip back and forth and cause a knocking noise. Replace tub cover if necessary.
GEAngel  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:18:24 PM(UTC)
GEAngel

Thanks Ripley! We're going to check that out tomorrow and check back in!:rolleyes:
GEAngel  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:36:49 AM(UTC)
GEAngel

Ripleys-we have been able to get down to the inner basket (sorry-I don'tknow the correct terms for everything so bear with me) but Dad says the bolt will not come loose. They can't get it to unscrew so they can get down to check the Torx thing. Since it's aluminum, too much force will just break it. Any ideas?
Also-they were able to play with the wiring a bit and found that the knocking is only in low speed and when bypassed so that its forced into high speed only-it doesn't knock. This of course causes it to overheat though. We're wondering if this might mean that it's actually the motor that is having the issues or not? It looks like a new motor runs about $280 and for a 7 year old washer-it seems like it would be better money spent towards a new washer??
samgeno  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:36:53 AM(UTC)
samgeno

Originally Posted by: ripleys Go to Quoted Post
Click on your model number to give you the part and number breakdown that I am refering to.
First and easiest thing is to grab the inner spin basket (part 316) and move it back and forth. If there is movement and noise I wold suspect that the TORX screws that hold the tub base (part 323) have came loose and the inner spin basket would need to be removed and turned upside down and the TORX screws need tightening. Paint or lock-tite the screws to prevent this from happening again. If left loose severe damage could occur to your washer. The other part that may give you the noise you described would be the tub cover (part 329). If the seal in the tub cover gets worn out the tub cover will slip back and forth and cause a knocking noise. Replace tub cover if necessary.

Ripleys,

Ge Profile Washer makes noise all the time in agitation and spin cycles. Sounds like a bearing problem either on the lower assembly or motor bearing. Any idea how to check? Can the lower bearing assembly be replaced? Can the motor bearing be replace without replacing the motor?

Sam
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply