Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill242  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:04:42 PM(UTC)
Bill242

Groups: Registered

My GE washer will work just fine until the rinse/spin cycle. It starts for a few seconds then stops I am assuming because it thinks it is unballanced. I can run the washer empty and 9 times out of 10 it will work just fine. When testing it while empty it runs fine but if I interupt the cycle and throw in a shirt the washer quickly stops. This washer has worked for the past 8 years with no problem and I can say it has ran some large loads. Could the suspension rods simply be worn out? I have removed the front panel and can see that they are all in place and do not appear to be broken - however they do not seem firm.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:39:28 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Does the washer drain the water? Does it fills up with the water on rinse cycle?
Does the motor runs on spin?

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Suspension, Pump & Drive Components parts for GE WMSE3140A0WW - AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon.
Bill242  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:51:50 AM(UTC)
Bill242

As it enters the spincycle it first drains the water. Yes the motor runs and the belt is brand new. I took the pump off to inspect for a clog - everything was fine. The washer runs as normal with no clothes in it but seems to become off balance as soon as it has any clothes in it.
Bill242  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:25:11 PM(UTC)
Bill242

I wanted post another follow up - The strangest thing about this is that the unit works fine when I run it through the complete wash cycle with no clothes in the tub. With clothes in it - it runs through all cycles just fine but stops on the spin cycle. THis is whatis causing me to suspect the suspension rods. Can they simply wear out?
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:35:32 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Worn suspension rods would not stop it from spinning unless the tub support assembly lowered enough that the pulley was against the bottom of the washer. When spin stops, is the motor still running? i.e. is the clutch slipping? The clutch is inside the motor pulley. The motor shaft protrudes below the pulley and has a clip on it. When it stops spinning, if the motor is running the clip will be spinning but the pulley might not be if the clutch is slipping. If this is the case, there may be clothing caught between the inner and outer tub.

Eric
Bill242  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:28:26 PM(UTC)
Bill242

I recently had a problem with the pulley rubbing against the bottom of the washer. In fact because of this the pulley failed and the outer flange detached from the clutch housing. I pulled the pulley/clutch housing off and simply welded the flange back on. As this was simply a guide and nothing appeared wrong with the clutch itself I did not see any reason to purchase a new clutch. I fixed the flange and installed the housing back on the clutch. In addition to that repair I installed a new belt. During the spin cycle when the motor stops there is not any slipage. The machine seems to stop then activate the pump to clear any water that may be causing the balance issue. At this point there is maybe 12 oz of water still in the tub.That is why I took the pump off to see if it was clogged but it was fine. The washer runs the pump for a while then tries to spin again. It spins for a few seconds but once it is up to speed it quits. Again without a load in it it will complete the cycle - with a load it stops. I will check for a sock or something wedged between.
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:26:35 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
So when the motor stops during spin, there is no power to it? It doesn't hum? It's not trying to spin, just quits? It does seem that your suspension rods are shot if the pulleys were hitting the bottom of the washer. I don't see anything on the schematic indicating that it has any out of balance detector unless it's an integral part of the control board (possible).

Eric
Bill242  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:49:47 AM(UTC)
Bill242

No the motor is not humming or trying to move - it is certainly acting as if something told it to stop - i.e. a ballance sensor.
I am thinking it is the supension as I ran it last night with a load and when I stabilized the tub with my hands (would not recomend this to anybody) from the top - with this the spin lasted a little longer until I could not continue to stabilize it. I did not see any counter balance springs or anything like that on the schematics - it appears that the four rods are all that stabilizies the tub. I will give the suspension rods a try and report back. Thank you all for the help!
washspeed  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:52:54 PM(UTC)
washspeed

Hi everybody,
I saw that a lot of people talking about spin speed of washing machine, vibration and noise.
If can help, with iPhone is possible to measure the speed of washing machine with great precision.
App is “Washspeed”.(www.washspeed.com) You can ask me if you need additional info.
I hope that this app can help you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply