Discuss

Direct Drive motor new and just "hums"

in

Washer Repair

. "

Originally Posted by richappy The timer contacts for start current may be blown open, amprobe would confirm. If the cover

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Direct Drive motor new and just "hums"

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 AM

Ekauserud is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by richappy View Post
The timer contacts for start current may be blown open, amprobe would confirm. If the cover will come off the timer, just check for burnt contacts.
I edited my previous post and included a picture. Any help with the contact on the picture being my problem would be great. I now own a VOM. If I could be pointed in the right direction I could possibly do laundry tonight....

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all

Looks like you need to replace the water level switch, the spade terminal to it, and the plastic tubing to it. The hum was probably from the water solenoid and not the motor. A failure of the start current from the timer would have tripped the breaker in the house electrical panel.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Looks like you need to replace the water level switch, the spade terminal to it, and the plastic tubing to it. The hum was probably from the water solenoid and not the motor. A failure of the start current from the timer would have tripped the breaker in the house electrical panel.
there's definitely a hum from the motor, it won't start. it will however start when I manually do it, spin it that is. I have to hold on the lid switch and have it set properly and it just hums in till I manually spin
Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all

Most probably a bad timer as I said before.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Most probably a bad timer as I said before.
Can you tell me or point me to what the timer is. What seems like a timer in mine looks fine. Where can I put ohm meter to test these parts? Also the pressure switch is discontinued? So I am just out of luck?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

fairbank56 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekauserud View Post
Bought a new capacitor. Still hums. Will start spinning once I manually spin it. Will NOT start itself??? WHAT THE HECK!!! Brand new motor, brand new capacitor.
The motor has 3 windings, 2 run windings and 1 start winding. It is not getting power to the start winding either due to faulty wiring/connections or timer.

Eric
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
The motor has 3 windings, 2 run windings and 1 start winding. It is not getting power to the start winding either due to faulty wiring/connections or timer.

Eric
Is there any way someone can tell me to check the timer???

and what problems can the pressure switch incur???
Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

With timer set to normal wash cycle when it should be agitating, check for continuity on the timer terminals (24 terminal block) between the Yellow and Blue wires, and between the Red and White/Black wires. The Red and Yellow wires are the feed to the motor start winding. With timer set to spin cycle, you should have continuity between the Yellow and White/Black wires and between the Red and Blue wires. That's the reverse of agitate. Reversing the feed to the start winding reverses the direction of rotation of the motor. Obviously, do these checks with the power off.

Eric
Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
With timer set to normal wash cycle when it should be agitating, check for continuity on the timer terminals (24 terminal block) between the Yellow and Blue wires, and between the Red and White/Black wires. The Red and Yellow wires are the feed to the motor start winding. With timer set to spin cycle, you should have continuity between the Yellow and White/Black wires and between the Red and Blue wires. That's the reverse of agitate. Reversing the feed to the start winding reverses the direction of rotation of the motor. Obviously, do these checks with the power off.

Eric
Bought a brand new timer. Still won't spin. I have the motor out of the machine and am holding the lid switch closed it just hums still. Brand NEW

MOTOR, CAPACITOR, and TIMER! what else could this be??????
Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

Faulty wiring or connections. The wires to the start winding are red and yellow. The red goes to two different terminals on the timer as does the yellow wire. Same goes for the blue wire and the white/black wire. This is the feed to the timer. You'll need to trace these wires to find out where their junction points are and check continuity on them as well as a good visual inspection. If you can spin the motor shaft while it's humming and it starts running normally, it's because it isn't getting power to the start winding. BTW, don't let that motor sit there and hum for long as it's drawing a lot more current that way.

Eric
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.