Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tru2Chevy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:39:11 PM(UTC)
Tru2Chevy

Groups: Registered

After washing a load of clothes this morning the lock on the door of my washer wouldn't unlock. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, running a rinse and spin cycle again, and (after yanking the door open) loosening up the 2 screws holding it in to shake the lock switch slightly to see if it was just stuck.....no luck.

The last time I had an issue where the lock switch was suspected someone here suggested that I order this assembly: FRIGIDAIRE 131888900 Lock Assm., AP2578357 | AppliancePartsPros.com (but it's out of stock here).

Looking at the parts list for my washer now, that part isn't listed, but this lock switch is: FRIGIDAIRE 131763202 Door Lock Assembly, AP4455026 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Should I purchase the lock switch (AP4455026) only, or shop elsewhere for the full kit? As far as I know the lock switch is original (the striker is black, I understand that the updated lock switch assembly comes with a white striker of a different design). Any guidance here would be much appreciated.

Also, while I'm waiting for whatever parts I need to order to come in, is there any way to bypass the lock switch and just prop the door shut to get a few loads of laundry done so my family has some clothes for the week? I saw someone talk about using a ratchet strap to hold the door closed after disabling his switch on a similar model, not sure if that is possible on this model as a temporary workaround.

- Justin
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 5:16:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Justin,

The correct door latch assembly is Part number: 131763202
Part number: 131763202

The old kit Part number: 131888900
Part number: 131888900
is no longer available.

It's not a good idea to bypass the lock switch. Much better to use a laundromat.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Removing the door safety switch.doc (430kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
Tru2Chevy  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 6:20:37 PM(UTC)
Tru2Chevy

Thanks for the reply Gene. So that switch will be compatible with the black striker that I have? Or do I need to order a new striker to go with it?

Here is the striker that I have:
UserPostedImage

- Justin
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:40:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Looks like this is the same part (#14 at the diagram).

UserPostedImage

Gene.
Tru2Chevy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:47:08 PM(UTC)
Tru2Chevy

Great, thanks again Gene.

- Justin
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:13:30 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome Justin. Keep us posted.

Gene.
Tru2Chevy  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 12:44:47 PM(UTC)
Tru2Chevy

Well, I finally got around to replacing my lock switch. Took the top off of the washer and pulled the door seal back to allow access to the switch, and while doing so I realized first that the wiring is different between the original switch and the replacement. I compared the part I received to the pics here, and it's definitely the same, but the original uses a completely different plug setup.

The other problem with it is that the striker doesn't fit it. Again, looks like the replacement is a different design as the original.

Here's the original (still installed) and the replacement in my hand:
UserPostedImage

My striker not fitting into the lock mechanisims of the replacement switch:
UserPostedImage

Not sure what to do about this? I am guessing that maybe the other striker that seems to be available for this model (the white one I mentioned above) fits this replacement switch, but what are we expected to do about the wiring?

- Justin
Gene  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 2:18:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Justin,

After more researches I found that Frigidaire has redesigned the striker for this model as well. The original part number 131279000 has been changed to 131279001. On the pictures they look very similar with the same color but their sizes probably a bit different.

Regarding the wiring: click on the door latch assembly part number in my previous post, scroll down to the Q&A section and click on the Read all questions link. Scroll down to the 9th question and read the answer posted for Tony. I believe that's what you are looking for.

- The striker Part number: 131279001
Part number: 131279001

Gene.
Tru2Chevy  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 2:43:25 PM(UTC)
Tru2Chevy

Gene,

Thanks so much for the response. After reading that Q&A and looking at the wires on my old lock switch I understand exactly how it should be wired up.

As far as the striker goes, I'm not sure what the deal is with the new part number, but if you click that link to the new striker part number, the picture is of the old part (131279000). However, I noticed after looking at the description of the replacement lock switch it says : "Front load door lock and switch assembly. For door striker order 131763310." So I guess I'll have to order the replacement striker after all, but that's no big deal.

I'll post up again when the new striker arrives and I am able to get everything assembled.

- Justin
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply