Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mephamrog  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:08:17 AM(UTC)
mephamrog

Groups: Registered

My Roper clothes washer which is only a year and a half old will not go to the rinse or spin cycle automatically because the timer motor burnt out already. I contacted Whirlpool and they sent a repair service to my home at a cost of $65.00 to me to find this out. I was told the part would cost me $100.00 and the labor would be an additional $125.00 for a total of $225.00. I feel this is absurd for a washing machine that is only 1 1/2 years old and sold for $350.00. I feel ripped off by this cost and the cost of the repair estimate as well as the inferiority of this product and will never buy another Whirlpool product again. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:45:45 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Did you measure the resistance of the timer motor. Most common failure is dirty contacts in the timer. If resistance is like 2.5 K ohm motor is ok. I would turn the timer dial around several times to clear the contacts. If your timer cover will come off, I would spray the contacts with non residue cleaning spray.
mephamrog  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:41:36 AM(UTC)
mephamrog

Thank you for your reply. I will give your suggestion a try. Thanks!
mephamrog  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 3:11:53 PM(UTC)
mephamrog

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Did you measure the resistance of the timer motor. Most common failure is dirty contacts in the timer. If resistance is like 2.5 K ohm motor is ok. I would turn the timer dial around several times to clear the contacts. If your timer cover will come off, I would spray the contacts with non residue cleaning spray.

Thanks so much for your information. IT WORKED!!!!! Now why couldn't the
repairman have done that instead of charging me $65.00 for a repair estimate of $225.00 and doing nothing? This service repair company (A&E Factory Repair Service of Winter Park, Florida) contracted by Whirlpool is nothing but a repair service scam. Whirlpool should choose reputable repair representatives if they want consumers to keep purchasing their products. I will never buy another Whirlpool product again.
okbobcats  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 6:17:55 PM(UTC)
okbobcats

What are you going to buy???
richappy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:25:39 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Glad you fixed it. I personally would stick with Whirlpool, generally a good product, compared to others.
kawfeeman  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:35:51 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

by the way, since Whirlpool purchased Maytag ( Majic chef / jenn air / amana et al ) Roper and Kitchen Aid are all Whirlpool too, there really are not too many other choices out there, especially for that price. TThe info that you were given here IS the reason why you should call your local repair man as opposed to your big conglomerate service center ..
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply