Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrynDN  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:28:11 PM(UTC)
BrynDN

Groups: Registered

I have a GE WJSE4150B1WW Washing Machine. It is a top loading machine with a two-speed thermally protected motor, clutch, belt drive, and transmission. Motor spins clockwise for agitate, counter-clockwise for spin cycle. I'm having an issue that I would believe is the motor, but wanted to get advice first. It started a few months ago with a electrical burning smell. Cut off in the middle of a cycle. When running the machine it It has progressively gotten worse.

What happens now: It fills with water fine. It will enter the agitate cycle, powering the motor. If the unit has been off for quite some time (motor at room temperature) it will run for a 15-30 seconds, then kick off. Motor is pretty warm to touch, and I even saw it emit a tiny bit of smoke. Obviously overheated and the overloads are kicking it out. Controller doesn't realize it is out so cycle progresses. Motor eventually cools, kicks back on, and runs for 15 seconds or so, again getting warm. It will drain after some time, refill, drain, then start the spin cycle. Spin does the same thing. Gets up to speed, runs for 15-30 seconds, then kicks off. It does this regardless of having a Super load, or with no clothes or water in the drum (diagnostic mode).

Based on this I'm certain that the motor is reaching thermal overload, tripping out, and cooling back to safe temperature. I'd buy a new motor, but my only concern is the overload. The motor is connected through a clutch and belt to the transmission. Since the motor is overloading, I'm not sure if the tranmission is bad, causing too much load, thereby tripping the motor, or if indeed the motor itself is bad. Before I buy the motor I'm looking for advice or experience with such a problem, and hoping someone can tell me for sure that the motor is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Tranmission doesn't seem to make any strange noises, however I just don't know how to test the tranmission to see if it is seizing up and thereby overheating my motor.

If you do recommend a new motor, any information on the old versus "upgrade" two-speed motor. Seems there is a new motor being recommended, but it doesn't have the same wire harness...

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.