Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spam  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:02:13 PM(UTC)
spam

Groups: Registered

Kenmore top-loader direct-drive. Stopped agitating/spinning but would pump out water. But coupler looks A-OK and turns fine by hand. Strange thing is... as a test, I observed it during the agitate portion of the cycle and the coupler isn't even turning. The motor is running and I can see it turning the connection into the pump - which seems odd to me since a) I wouldn't think the pump side should be doing anything during the agitate cycle but b) regardless, it isn't actually pumping out the water. It is however making a very loud noise coming from that area around the motor/pump. So, I'm a bit baffled why the motor is running but not turning the coupler.

Controller gone bad and sending the wrong signal to the motor? This is the only thing I can think of (not to mention that it's been flaky for years in that we had to quit using the hot water setting because it stopped going into the rinse cycle). So, maybe it's lost some more of its mind??? Any ideas would be appreciated. If it helps, I have a multi-meter and, although no expert, can take readings if given instructions. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

P.S. - I realize it's an old machine and the easy answer would be to just replace it but now is just not the time.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.