Discuss

washer wont spin (after feathers clog)

in

Washer Repair

. "

Down pillow broke in washer. What a mess! after cleaning it up best I could, the feathers still completely clogged

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » washer wont spin (after feathers clog)

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Sandybean is on a distinguished road
Default washer wont spin (after feathers clog)
Brand: Frigidaire   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Down pillow broke in washer. What a mess! after cleaning it up best I could, the feathers still completely clogged the filter. Machine ran fine for about a load before the filter clogged again, then 2 more times. Now machine seems to be draining OK but when it should go into high speed spin mode it just keeps doing the low speed back and forth thing and finally finishes cycle without having spun.

I read about the door lock motor, and I tried shutting unit off but the door does stay locked as it should.

Please help, thanks!

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

sidfink43 has a spectacular aura about

Darn, sorry for your problem.

Gosh, I would tell you not to put a down pillow in a washer, but you already know that by now.

Without a model number I can only tell you to pull off the lower service panel and use the tech notes to try and diagnose the problem. Focus on the speed control board and if you cannot diagnose any problems try replacing it.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Model number is FTF530FS2. I would need a little help on how to read the tech sheet to diagnose control board. I did try replacing the motor since it had gotten quite hot when system was clogged, and I tried replacing the wax motor since the part was cheap. Still no high speed spin.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

I think the part you want to try replacing is the board that controls the motor, this part here.

Part number: AP3967975

Part number: AP3967975

If you buy from this site and the part does not fix the problem you can return it.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Nope its not the controller. I have to ask why the controller would be suspect to have gone following a clogged pump situation. It never made sense to me but I went ahead and tried anyway based on the recommendation here. Five days and five minutes wasted, back to the drawing board. Any one have any more suggestions?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 AM

Hi, so here is an update on my washer. I did buy the speed control board from repair clinics, but it didn't solve the problem. I did test the door latch and it is working properly. I finally called a repairman but he only tried installing another door latch and told me I would probably need to change both the control board and the motor, based on his experience. (He didn't test anything though, I think he just wanted me to go buy a new machine). I am close to buying a new machine, but now I really want to know the truth of the matter. So I got the magnifying glass out on the diagnostic sheets and measured resistances on the motor and it checks out good.

Checked resistances on the speed control boards fuses are good but neither seem to have continuity between the 1 and 3 pin of the 6 pin socket (3 meg/ohms as per sheet):

I figure either:
1) I am doing the test wrong.
2) I got a defective control board from repairclincs.
3) my machine killed both control boards.
4) please help
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

I am having trouble understanding which boards you replaced, but anyway here is a link to the service manual for your model. It may helpl

http://www.emaservicetips.com/pdfs/3...ionWashers.pdf

Good luck, understand your frustration, it is what we get when we work with front load washers.

I don't know if you can return the parts to ************************, but as I stated earlier when you buy from this site you can return them.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Sid, Thanks for the manual. I replaced the same board from your previous link. When I said both boards, I meant the old one and the replacement.. The schematic as I read it asks to check for 3 meg/ohms between pin 1 and 2, 2 and 3 and 3and 1of the six pin plug on the control board. I have a reading at pin 1 and two, but nothing from pin 3 at all. Old board and new board are the same. I am about to give up unless I can hear there is hope....
Old 09-25-2012, 01:24 PM

I have a question about the voltage tests in the manual. It says at pin 1 and 6 I should get 120 volts, which I do. It says at pin 2, 9, and 10 the voltage should be less than 50v, and I get 50-55, 55-65, and 55-65 respectively. Is that close enough in the appliance world or does this point to a problem in the timer? Also, the manual just says to check the heavy cycle, but I checked the delicate cycle just for grins and in this mode pin 2 reads 120 volts. Does that seem normal?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Your voltage readings in the 50-65 range should be close enough. There is a problem with accuracy in meters, and voltage does not have to be exact.

I really don't know about 120v at pin 2 on a non-heavy cycle, but I suspect it should be the same as it should be on any cycle.