Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EJ_Ruff  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 6:21:56 PM(UTC)
EJ_Ruff

Groups: Registered

Washer seems to agitate when unloaded (only water in the tub) and tries to agitate when loaded with clothes but seems to be slipping and it won't spin at all. It fills and drains just fine and the motor runs during the agitate and spin cycles.

I was hoping it was the motor and isolation coupling but the coupling is just fine. If I rotate the coupling by hand, the agitator moves but if I hold the agitator with one hand while rotating the coupling with the other hand the agitator slips and doesn't move. Is this a gearcase/transmission problem, clutch problem or something else?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

MayTech  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 10:16:22 PM(UTC)
MayTech

Possible bad gearcase. Also check the bolts holding the gear case to the bottom of the unit.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:18:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You might have a stripped agitator in this and a slipping clutch/ bad brake shoes.
When turning the coupler clockwise, when the tranny engages spin, if hard to turn, that verifies bad/ sticking brake shoes.
EJ_Ruff  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:21:03 AM(UTC)
EJ_Ruff

My Bad. When I first looked at the coupler it looked like it had two good flats on each of the hubs. I went back and checked again and upon closer inspection about 1/3rd of one side of the coupler was stripped. When I turned it by hand, I was pushing it onto the shaft further than it gets pushed on with the motor connected so that's why it worked when turned by hand.

It spins and agitates now but my wife says there is a funny smell when it is running. I haven't been there when she was washing so I don't know. Maybe the brake pads are not releasing completely.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:37:19 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Install the new coupler and do the test again. Dragging brake shoes may heat up the motor and cause a smell.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply