Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wag  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 4:56:48 AM(UTC)
wag

Groups: Registered

Tub leaks where transmission shaft enters at bottom. I've worked on dryers, but I've never worked on a washing machine, other than replacing the timing unit on this one a year ago. At the time, I failed to detect the tub leak and thought it was due to the tub overfilling. However, the leak has worsened. It appears to be slight when filling but more drastic when agitation and spinning cycles are in progress.

Worth fixing for a novice? If so, what should be replaced? When I looked at the exploded view at first, I thought all I needed was the collar and seal atop the kit shaft. When I looked at the exploded tub view, I saw the references to the spanner (spanners?) needed and what looks like more parts recommended for replacing. If I can find the spanner(s) for rental, I'm still willing to give it a try, unless replacing parts makes it more economical to buy a new or reconditioned washer. (We bought this one used about five years ago.)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:05:58 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Take a look at the service manual and see if you want to attempt this. It will tell you how to diagnose the exact cause of your leak and how to replace the parts.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...6010373%20(16001145).pdf

Generally you would want to do a complete seal replacement, here is the part kit

Part number: AP4372971
Part number: AP4372971

and here is the spanner (its just a special wrench with an English name) You would have to buy it.

Part number: AP3538707
Part number: AP3538707

My recommendation is to put your money into a basic, no frills top loader, but if you want to take a shot at fixing it you will not have a lot of money tied up in the repair.
wag  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 8:26:43 AM(UTC)
wag

Groups: Registered

Thanks.

While waiting for a reply, I dismantled the washing machine, removed the inner tub (without the need of a tub spanner by the way, just tapped the nut loose with a rubber mallet and short-shafted slotted screwdriver). I was part way to removing the outer tub, too, when, eyeing dirty laundry piled up for the better part of two weeks, my wife reminded me what we paid for the machine used.

So, I went to the local appliance store, bought a new, made-in-Wisconsin Speed Queen, which appears to have the best warranty by far on the market, and, from what I could tell, is made better (i.e., to tougher commercial standards) than its more mass-advertised competitors. I packed away my tools, still somewhat reluctantly, and will live to fix something else another day.

Gotta say though, I love this site and will be back again, I'm sure. Meanwhile, I wish there was as good and helpful a DIY I could use for my motorcycle and a few other things.:D
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 9:00:47 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Ok, good decision.

Good luck with your new washer and thanks for the update.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply