Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aubreygreen  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:57:57 AM(UTC)
aubreygreen

Groups: Registered

I'm totally naive when it comes to mechanical problems. So please forgive me if I fail to provide accurate or adequate information. My husband however is pretty good with tools, and repairs almost any mechanical problems we may encounter. My role is to do the research and provide him with as much information as I can find. So here goes:

Our washing machine despite its age works well except for one thing. When draining the machine does not spin. But when I lift the lid it kicks into gear and spins normally. After that the next spin works with no problem. Then it fills with water and starts the rinse cycle. During it, the same problem occurs. Always the first spin won't start without my help, but the second works just fine. The machine has no problem filling or draining. It appears to be agitating. It doesn't make any abnormal sounds, but I have noticed it isn't as "whisper quiet" as it once was. But with a 10 year old machine, I don't expect perfection. The only other thing I've noticed that has changed is that it has developed a recurring squeak during the faster final spin cycle. Something I'm assuming is totally unrelated. I have these questions:

-Is the machine supposed to spin while draining as I'm assuming since it kicks in when I raise the lid?

-Should it spin clockwise and then counter clockwise, and perhaps not be operating in one of those directions?

-Could it possibly need a new timer? Or perhaps a new motor coupling? Or a new drive motor (please, no!)?

Help! And thanks for providing a very helpful forum!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.