Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jjschil  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:26:58 AM(UTC)
jjschil

Groups: Registered

Hey there,
I have an Amana LWA40AW "Commercial Quality Washer" 2 speed 7 cycle. I inherited it from my brother a year or so ago. When I got it the slower speeds didn’t work. It would make very rapid high pitch chirping sounds when it tried to agitate so we’ve only used it on regular cycle. Recently I discovered the garage electrical breaker had tripped. And then found that the washer had not run its load and would not run. I tried numerous timer positions and checked the lid switch. After siphoning out the tub it will fill. I can smell a slight electrical burn smell in the motor area. I am familiar with Whirlpool/Kenmore machines but not so with this one. Any pointers would be great
Joe
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 6:37:56 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, first you may want to replace the breaker to rule out a faulty breaker as the problem.

If the breaker is ok from your description I would say that the transmission is jamming or the motor is failing, causing a large draw of current which trips the breaker. You may also have something jammed in the pump, so I would check that out also, but that does not explain the failure to run in different speeds, which again suggests the motor.

Here is the service manual

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ary/docs/RS3100005R3.pdf

Unless you find something simple then I think a new or newer machine is in order.
jjschil  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 9:29:47 AM(UTC)
jjschil

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the response sidfink43. And thanks for the link to the manual. I pulled the motor and used the test procedure to find that the high and low motor windings are bad as well part of the motor switch. We were running on borrowed time. Now I have to decide if it's worth nearly $200 for motor and belt. It sounds like several of the techs don't think to much of these Amana machines.
joe
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 9:55:37 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, sorry our suspicions were confirmed. Here is a recent post and it describes a purchase the person made. If this deal is available where you are I would go for it. Actually those Amana/Maytag machines were pretty good, just sounds like your got worn out.

http://forum.appliancepartspros...ate-capacitor-fried.html
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply