Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
malinst  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2012 10:51:55 AM(UTC)
malinst

Groups: Registered

As for age, it came with the house. Think I'm beginning to understand why they left it. Other than the water being HOT all the time, it's a nice stainless washer.

Okay, so even in the COLD/COLD setting NON ATC the ATC light is on and the water is very warm. To test if hot water getting to washer on the cold setting, I turned off the hot supply entirely. ran a test fill and it was very cold. then i began to turn the hot back on and the test water got hot/very warm. not as hot as hot only, but very warm, way over 100 degrees.

What do you think it could most likely be and what fix would you recommend?

since both hot and cold flow freely, I don't think it's a valve problem. Is there a controller or something that sounds like the problem? Especially how the ATC light is always on.

Thanks in advance!! You might just save my marriage :-)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:48:22 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Your problem is likely with either the water temp control switch or the temp control board. You can try changing out the control switch as it is not too expensive and you can return it if you buy from this site and it does not fix the problem.

Given that the machine came with the house and so you have no money in it my recommendation is either use it as is, or turn off the hot water valve so you have cold/cold or if it's not too much trouble turn off the hot water after it fills so you get a cold water rinse.

Yeah I know its not a fix, but the price ($0.00) is right.
malinst  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:12:20 AM(UTC)
malinst

Thanks sidfink43.

What part would the temperature control switch be?

AP4026829 - $50

Then if that didn't fix it I should try replacing the temp control board? - AP4028021 - $105

So looking at the diagram, it appears this is a fairly simple to access fix. unscrew the control panel using the screws on the top rear and I get access to the back side of the control panel?

I appreciate the $0 workaround and believe me if it were just me I'd drop in some easy access quarter-turn shut off valves but since my better half is involved I'll opt to invest $100 to do it right.

Thanks again!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:27:54 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes that is the part, and the board is on the parts diagram you can get using your model number.

If either of those two don't fix things that other option, highly unlikely is the valve assembly itself.
malinst  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:29:12 AM(UTC)
malinst

Okay, so AP4026829 (temp control switch) arrived today, I installed it and the problem hasn't gone away.

Guessing my next step is to replace the temp control board AP4028021? --- could a bad board cause the ATC light to NEVER go off? Or is there something just for the ATC that would cause this? Or is it one in the same?

Thanks
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2012 3:38:15 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes, the bad board would cause problems with the light. Try replacing it and again if you bought from this site you can return the parts if they are not needed.

I understand this sounds like a pretty crude process, but the methodology of replacing things to see if that fixes it is about all you can do when a circuit board is in machine.

Good luck, hope that works.
malinst  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:52:50 AM(UTC)
malinst

Okay, so I dug back into the control panel yesterday, and pulled out the old temp control board and replaced it with the one I had ordered AP4028021.

Same result. Not fixed. On COLD/COLD the ATC light is still on and mixed hot and cold comes out during the fill.

I also put the old (but working) switch back in while I was under the hood. A little worried I might damage the new board trying to remove it and replace with new so I think I will leave it since it could decide to go out any day anyway - not sure how much more prying those plastic pins that hold the board in place are going to take either.

So what's the next and hopefully final option? I'm guessing it has something to do with a malfunction in a mixing valve? What is involved to make this repair? Is it a couple of screws on a back access panel, or more involved? The control panel was pretty easy to access, I'm thinking the next set of suggestions won't be so easy.

Thanks for your expertise and continued patience.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:25:58 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Go ahead and replace the valve assembly, this part here

Part number: AP4010168
Part number: AP4010168

It does have a thermistor so that may be the problem.

You can get to it by taking off the front panel and then taking out screws to lift up the top panel.

It should not be a difficult repair.
malinst  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:49:47 AM(UTC)
malinst

Okay, so the valve assembly suggested is scheduled to arrive today - Sure hope this is the fix I've been looking for.

I've done some searching as to how to access this area to replace it and I'm a bit confused. You say front panel, but what I've read says top panel first on this model. Something like, insert a putty knife to release some springs in the top front and lift up the top panel. Does that sound right for the Maytag Atlantis model MAV7650AWW? I'm assuming I should also go ahead and remove the control panel beforehand (unscrew back, tilt forward, lift up and unplug the wiring harness from the bottom half of the washer?) This seems like it would then allow the top to lift off completely to access the internals to swap out the valve right? Thanks for your expertise, I just want to make sure I have the right plan before I start taking things apart.

Thanks again for ALL of your help.
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:37:34 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Some of these models open from the front, some front the top. If there are no screws in the front then the top should open up. You should be able to do the repair without removing the console, just leave it attached to the top.

Once you have the top open it should be obvious how to proceed.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply