Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bobby_g  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 6:01:01 AM(UTC)
Bobby_g

Groups: Registered

I changed the broken coupler and now it doesn't stop filling up! While it was filling up, I blew directly into the pressure switch and it stopped the water and the wash cycle started! So I assume that it is something else. Clearly, it not geting enough pressure from the tub to stop the water. What can it be? Thank you.
PS: I checked the tube coming to the pressure switch and it looks good. No cracks or anything... How would I double check it though?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 9:02:26 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Blow the other way.

You have something partially or fully obstructing the tube that connects to the pressure switch. Blow it out.

If the problem persists you will have to take off the cabinet, and clean it out better, but see if just blowing it out will fix it.

If none of this works you will need to replace the pressure switch.
Bobby_g  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:46:13 AM(UTC)
Bobby_g

Thank you for the response. I did what you mentioned. Blew the tube the other way towards the tub. Then ran a new cycle but the same thing happened! It didn't stop filling up! Then I had to pull the tube from the pressure switch and blew into it and it stopped the water level and the wash cycle started. Had to do the same thing for the rinse cycle!
This Kenmore Elite doesn't have any knobs. It has electronic controls. I read in a few places to unplug the power cord while it is filling up to see if the water stops...
Any other ideas?
Thank you.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:12:04 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Hi Bobby

To test to see if your water valves are stuck in the open position, disconnecting the power is the thing to do. If the water continues to come in then the valves are stuck and need to be replaced. However, this does not seem to be your problem since when you "blow" into your pressure switch you cause the control to tell the valves to close and they do.

Now the way these systems work is that the plastic tube running from the switch connects to the washer tub. As the tub fills will water, water enters the tube and increases the air pressure in the tube. When the air pressure gets high enough, it triggers the switch, which tells the control unit the tub is filled and to shut off the water valves. When you blew into the pressure switch, you mimicked this process.

Now what you need to do is to take off the cabinet and start the machine up. You should see water enter the tube. If it does not, then you did not clear the tube. If it does and the water does not shut off then either

1. You have a hole in the tube and need to replace it.

Part number: AP3098609
Part number: AP3098609

or

2. Your pressure switch assembly needs to be replaced because it is not responding to the increased pressure (your blowing into it may create higher pressure than the tube creates)

My expectation is that you will find the problem with the tube.
Bobby_g  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 11:53:08 AM(UTC)
Bobby_g

Thanks... I just ordered the part from the website... we'll see. I'll let you... Hopefully it's just the hose.
Thank you again for your help.
Bobby_g  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:41:48 AM(UTC)
Bobby_g

Argh! It is not the hose... Got the new hose and tried it but still the same thing! It doesn't stop...
Can it be other than the pressure switch? Is there a way to check that out before shelling out $100+?

How can I check if there is enough pressure coming from the tub? At this point, I am thinking, it's either the pressure switch or for some reason, there is not enough pressure created... Is there a part that creates that pressure?

Or just buy a new pressure switch and see if that's gonna fix the problem and if not, I can always return it, right?
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:54:34 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

I think you are correct in that you need a pressure switch. Here is the part for your machine

Part number: AP3020679
Part number: AP3020679

We are volunteers who replay on the Forum and are not connected with APP, so I suggest you call in the order and ask them about the return policy, but this should fix it for good.

The one test you can do to make sure it is not the valves is to see if the water shuts off when the machine is unplugged. If not, the valves need to be replace, but it sounds like your switch will shut it off so I doubt this is the problem, but check it out anyway.
Bobby_g  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:09:10 AM(UTC)
Bobby_g

Let me ask you something stupid!!! What is a Transducer? When I looked at the picture you posted, I then realized that what I thought was the pressure switch, is actually the transducer. I actually blew into the transducer, thinking that it was the pressure switch and somehow it was stopping the water!!!

What would you suggest that I do at this point, knowing what I just discovered:-)))

Thank you! You have been a great help. I truly appreciate it.
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:05:51 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Don't feel stupid, that is a very good question and actually you were doing the right thing.

Your transducer is your water level pressure switch and you were testing it correctly. (a tranducer is a pressure switch which uses variable current rather than a mechanical switch which the tranditional water pressure switch uses).

So we are back to the recommendation of replacing the pressure switch (the transducer) which unfortunately is a lot more expensive then the old water switch.

Talk with APP about returning it if it does not fix the problem, but I think it is highly likely this will solve it for you.
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2024 6:58:57 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I doubt anyone is watching this forum after fifteen years, but I have a similar issue. The problem is that I have now replaced the pressure switch and the hose, and it does not seem to have made a difference. Is it possible that the part at the bottom of the drum (I don't know the part name) that the hose plugs into is somehow clogged? And, if that's a possibility, is there something I can do about that?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply