Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
suzim424  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:02:55 AM(UTC)
suzim424

Groups: Registered

Hello. I have a Maytag Front Loading Washer that all of a sudden the control buttons don't seem to work properly. Yesterday all the normal buttons (warm/warm setting, cycle desired, signal button, on/pause) were blinking and would not respond when I hit any of them nor would they shut off. I tried various troubleshooting techniques that I guessed would help, shutting off the power, etc., and it didn't work. Today I plugged it in after being unplugged overnight and was able to hit start and the cycle began. Unfortunately it wasn't entirely normal as the buttons seemed to push/switch on their own - changing warm/warm to warm/cold, changing normal cycle to light cycle, etc. while the water was filling. In the end, the wash cycle ran (not sure if it was normal or light as the buttons flashed most of the cycle) and all else appeared to work fine....the clothes came out clean and all other stages of the wash cycle seemed ok.

I believe the only thing wrong is the control board and want to see if this sounds right before I order the new part and try to find someone to swap them out for me.

Any thoughts???
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:35:30 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Unfortunately this problem can be the control board, or the console LED display board. Both are expensive, and unless you can put your machine through a successful diagnostic test you will have to have a tech visit and confrim which item needs to be replaced.

This is going to be expensive, even if you buy the parts yourself and have someone put them in for free, so you may want to consider replacing the machine.

Here is the service manual. Supplemental info on your model, which is a later generation Maytag is at the back.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16010061.pdf

Good luck
suzim424  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 4:45:51 AM(UTC)
suzim424

Thank you very much for your response. I went looking for new machines yesterday and heard from Sears that I should consider myself lucky for getting 7 1/2 years out of my Neptune due to issues they had. Unfortunate that I paid $1,000 for a top of the line machine at the time and it lasted half of what I expected, but that's the breaks I guess!

Thanks again for your advice.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 5:43:54 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Unfortunately they are right. Although your model is an improvement over earlie versions, getting 7+ years from this model is like winning the lottery. These machines have been a disaster for Maytag

I suggest you purchase a no frills, top loading machine. I strongly advise you to avoid any machine with micro processor controls. If you buy one with those, be sure and get the extended service contract.

The no frills top loader will do a great job, last for years, have very little problems and are easy and less expensive to fix.

Good luck.
suzim424  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 5:55:36 AM(UTC)
suzim424

Wow. I'm so surprised with how much I paid. I thought Maytags lasted 20 years! Boy how times have changed.

That's my latest decision. Top load vs. front load. Everything I read and the salesmen all say front load due to less water used and how much dryer the clothes come out so it saves drying time, etc. I LOVED my front loader, but they all have the control boards, which cannot be fixed when they go.

When I went out yesterday I was set on a top load for all the reasons you stated, but the salesmen really don't recommend them.....although it could be because the front loaders are more expensive and they all strongly recommend the service plans, which are from $150-$250 extra.

Thanks for your recommendations. Could you recommend any particular brands? I see LG have a lot and are good priced, but are newer to selling appliances.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 6:26:35 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, like the late David Brinkley my motto is "everyone is entitled to my opinion" so here it is.

The sales people you are talking with probably know very little about washers, but are likely on commission, meaning they want to steer you to the expensive machine. The front loaders do use less water, and do dry the clothes marginally more, but not enough to come close to justifying their extra price or savings.

In our area you can get a direct drive Roper or Estate for around $300.00. This is the low end Whirlpool machine, but all that means is that it is a Whirlpool washer with Whirlpool parts with a different label. If you are uncomfortable with that, for another $30 or $40 you can get one with the Whirlpool or Kenmore label. (If the Kenmore machine has a 110 at the beginning of the model number, it is a Whirlpool machine; if the number is 417 it is a Frigidaire). The top loading basic GE or Frigidaire or Maytag are also good machines.

Avoid LG. They make great electronics, but their washers border on unfixable. There may be a lot of things wrong with American industry, but we make the best washers and dryers in the world. Really.

The basic machines have all the cycles you need. The extra cycles and settings on the higher priced machines are basically marketing gimmicks, and are only marginally useful. They are mainly things that can go wrong. They remind me of Spinal Tap, whose said their music was better because their amplifiers went up to 11, while everyone else's went up only to 10.

The technology of top loading direct drive machines has been around for 25 years. It works, and has stood the test of time. If you have any qualms get the extended service contract. Then take the money you saved and enjoy yourself.

Well, that's my story and I am sticking to it.
suzim424  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 7:24:51 AM(UTC)
suzim424

I REALLY appreciate your opinion. Thank you so much.

I tend to agree with you, as that is what I was thinking about the commission and "sales" side.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply