Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hot tub tech  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 6:51:53 PM(UTC)
Hot tub tech

Groups: Registered

My washing machine just stopped dead right in the middle of a cycle. I got the clothes out by triggering the manual release on the door, which I then reset, but the machine will not fire up at all. I have power at the plug, power at the EMI and power to the RY 9 but the entire control panel remains dark. Where do I go from here?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2009 2:11:02 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

If you are sure you have power to the control board/console and it will not light up then the problem is likely in the board, but that is an expensive piece so make sure you are getting full power to it.

If so your likely solution is to replace it.

Good luck.
Hot tub tech  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:38:21 AM(UTC)
Hot tub tech

I haven't seen a wiring diagram for this unit. Is there any place else where power would come in to the board?
I've 120v to the RY9 so it appears that the board is the culprit. Are there any other safety switches that need to be reset?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:27:43 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

I understand your need to be certain it is the board before replacing it. Unfortunately the world of microprocessor controls that the engineers designed does not allow for this. Basically they designed the software in your machine with very sophisticated diagnosis routines, but failed (either deliberately or out of ignorance) to allow for the situation where the CCU itself fails. This is even more of an issue since the board is the weak point in the system.

I do not have a wiring diagram for the machine, and you can trace the main power line, but it almost certainly has to come into the board initially. If the board is dark and power is coming to it, the board is very likely the problem. So, all I can leave you with is that if you decide you want to fix it you will have to replace the board and hope that fixes the problem.

Again, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Hot tub tech  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:29:55 PM(UTC)
Hot tub tech

Well, it isn't the board. I got a replacement and it still remains dark. There is what appears to be a transformer hanging from the wiring saddle. It has just one set of wires going in to it. I get very week/sporadic continuity through it. It plugs into the board, and I'm wondering if it is supposed to create low voltage for the control circuits and if its failed?
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:27:38 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, for some reason your board is just not getting power, or it is possible you received a defective board. I do not see the part you describe as a replacement part and it is not described in the service manual.

At this point I can only suggest that you determine if power is getting to the board, and and if so, clean and check all of the connections. You may also want to consider a new wiring harness. It is not expensive.

If it still does not function you may want to return the board as defective and see if another one will work. The do have defective replacements on occasion.

Sorry the replacement did not work, it's now somewhat of a mystery.
Hot tub tech  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:26:55 PM(UTC)
Hot tub tech

I had done some poking around before I found this site and I had ordered a new board and got no results. I called the folks I ordered the board from, and they sent me a new board. It's just as non functional as the other two. One bad board I can easily believe. Two in a row? Maybe......
I just bought a new washer. An LG. Hopefully it will be better than this Maytag.

Thanks for the help.

One other thing. The power goes through a set of contacts in the door locking mechanism BEFORE it goes into the board at RY9. That may help someone else in the future.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:38:41 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, sorry we are able to get you going, good luck with your new machine and thanks for the update
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply