Discuss

Whirlpool Duet Washer - MOLDY Smell

in

Washer Repair

. "

We have a Whirlpool Duet Washing machine that we bought a few years ago. I recently cleaned removed the bottom

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Whirlpool Duet Washer - MOLDY Smell

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 AM

budsvtec is on a distinguished road
Default Whirlpool Duet Washer - MOLDY Smell
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

We have a Whirlpool Duet Washing machine that we bought a few years ago. I recently cleaned removed the bottom panel and cleaned out the filter and screen but we are still getting a mildew smell from our laundry after it is washed.

What would be causing this and how do we fix it? We ran Bleach thru the machine already.

Also the hose on the back of the machine has mold in it but I do not know how to remove it from the back of the machine. Does anyone know? Can I buy a replacement hose?
Thanks

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

sidfink43 has a spectacular aura about

The mildew smell is probably coming from the front rubber seal. Look in it and you will probably see mildew and standing water. Check with your local appliance parts store to get something to clean it. Also, look to see why it is retaining oder.

If you take off the back you should see how to get to the hose connections.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM

twarnock is on a distinguished road

We had the same problem and tried EVERYTHING - bleach, scrubbing, etc. I finally (this week) took a hint from this forum and bought some AFFRESH (3 tablets/bag - found it at Lowes for $6.00 or so.) Following the directions, I ran 3 empty loads, each with one tablet in the drum (NOT in the dispenser) and I ran it on NORMAL (but bumped the water temp from warm to hot.) The smell in our laundry (particularly our towels) is gone!

One more thing I read that may help... We have a tendency to add "extra" soap (thinking more is better.) One thing that causes the smell is a build up of excess soap. We use liquid soap (All, Tide, Gain - all HE-ready) and I've instructed the family to use ONLY what is recommended (which - after all these years of just pouring what looked right in - seems like not enough.) The laundry is clean and smells great!

Good luck!
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.