Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HyderGirl  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 12:41:57 PM(UTC)
HyderGirl

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Customer service suggested I post here for help with my older stacked single unit washer dryer from GE, model WSM2420TAZWW. I am unsure how old as I got it with my place, but I'd guess late 90’s. there is a chance it came from Canada as I live on a border.

The unit still agitates and runs, but the basket doesn't spin. From other threads and research, I surmise the issue could be in the clutch. But I cannot figure out how to open the chassis to try to get to it.

Another thread: http://forum.appliancepartspros...-washer-dryer-combo.html discusses a similar model and how to get in it, but the links do not function anymore and the OP didn't describe the procedure explicitly.

Can you tell me how to get into the unit? Also if the basket not spinning could be something other than the clutch.

Thanks in advance,
HyderGirl
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 1:41:59 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

If the washer doesn't drain or spin then the problem is bad lid switch.

To access the inside cabinet remove the panel between dryer and washer, locate and remove two 5/16 screws at the back hinges (one on each side).

Pull the top forward and up.

Remove two screws holding front panel. Pull it up and out.

Please respond with results.

Simon.
HyderGirl  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 1:47:34 PM(UTC)
HyderGirl

Thank you for the instructions. I will attemp this.

The machine does drain. Only the spin function is broken.
HyderGirl  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 10:36:17 AM(UTC)
HyderGirl

Okay, I was able to get into the cabinet. Now I'm being told that the machine does not drain after all. So I would like to test the switch on the lid to rule it out as the problem. Can you recommend a technique to test for that, or do I just have to order the part and try?
HyderGirl  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 11:10:36 AM(UTC)
HyderGirl

Just a quick note: I live in a remote part of Alaska without repairmen or hardware stores, so any help is very appreciated. And I can't just call in an expert. So thank you very much for this forum and for your time.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 11:13:36 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

HI.

First check if the actuator pin at the right side of the lid is there, then proceed.
With the power off disconnect the lid switch plug (under the top panel).
Using the multimeter with lid closed, check for the continuity between the outside contacts at the switch plug.
No continuity - replace the lid switch.
You also can install the jumper wire at the washer side of the plug and start the unit.
If it will work - replace the lid switch.

The lid switch Part number: WH12X955
Part number: WH12X955

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric WSM2420TAAWW Washer dryer combination | AppliancePartsPros.com

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.
iblashaun  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:16:57 PM(UTC)
iblashaun

Originally Posted by: HyderGirl Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
i have a Gibson combo mine does everything but spin .it does suck out the water.i hope this gets to you and some help.i have found that most of the combos all work about the same the name brands and parts may differ. i have found that with this problem it could be lid switch,motor coupling,drive belt,motor control board,drive b lock,clutch assembly,clutch band kit,drive motor (says not common)on drive motor,tub bearing,or tub seal&bearing kit.n the front of machine on the bottom mine has two screws take them out ,push up and pull front panel off.then under the top of washer there is one screw holding the washer top to sides,take them out take the bolts or screw out from plate that's above washer and below dryer .now take pair of pliers and remove the washer fill hose from the filler. there is some wires you may have to unplug but after you check on wires should be able to take and pull washer top off. i unfortunately took out screws holding my dryer because i figured it would have to come off to get washer tub out and so far i got everything out but tub and looks like it could stay.i wish i could tell you how to tell which part you actually need but if you fin how to check please let me know.my e mail is ibme4u@live.com good luck
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2024 8:56:57 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Bypass the switch
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply