Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kiwi  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2009 6:00:47 PM(UTC)
kiwi

Groups: Registered

Hi,
Our "5 speed" spin/agitate option is not working on the whirlpool series 90 washing machine. You can select fast spin or slow spin and it will only spin slow with the result of too much water getting left in the clothes. I thought maybe the 5 speed control module was bad and I would like confirmation that this is probably alright based on info I have gleaned from a thread. Basedon reading richappy thread on replacing direct drive brake shoes dated 12-09-2007 I think the problem is the clutch is worn. One of the white shoes is down to the rivot so I guess that needs replacing BUT I have a question on why the clutch wore. The brake can be rotated anticlockwise with a little resistance (takes two fingers and a little pressure to turn it) but can't be turned clockwise. Looks like there is about 1/8" or more on the brake pads and the brake "drum" feels smooth. Rollers are a little worn but not jamming or too floppy on the pins. Are the brakes considered fine?
Oh one other diagnostic piece of info, when I turned the machine onto spin before tearing it apart, I bypassed to lid switch, I was able to hold the bowl from spinning with little resistance. Any help or confirmation would be appreciated before I go out looking for parts tomorrow, thank you so much.
Kiwi
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:15:48 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Kiwi

Replace the clutch. It is not difficult to do as it sounds like you are already into the machine and not expensive. Then see what happens. With problems like yours you need to take it sequentially. I think there is a good possibility the clutch will fix it, but if not, that's one item that is ruled out.

If your clutch wore out prematurely it may be because the machine was routinely overloaded. Or it may be you just had a bad clutch to start with.
kiwi  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:56:30 PM(UTC)
kiwi

Groups: Registered

I did replace the clutch and that fixed it. The machine is back up and running and my wife is very happy. I do appreciate the thread mentioned in my first post as that put me on the right track. It was good to to see that I could have got parts from you all but since we have a place close by and the washer was needed right away I went that route this time.
THANK YOU so much for this Web page and the advise and help within it!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:21:14 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Great, glad you got it up and going, and thanks for updating us.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply