Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pgafuture  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 1:55:47 PM(UTC)
pgafuture

Groups: Registered

Hello:

Just bought whirlpool duet sport used. Ran the clean washer cycle, worked fine.

First load of clothes on whitest whites setting, the washer shook violently once the high speed spin cycle was initiated and the stacked dryer fell off the top, we had left the house and came home to this mess.

It seems to work well in all other phases of the wash cycle. We've tried to level it as best we can using a good carpenters level, one of the leveling feet is beat up, it still shook in a major way, lifting itself off the floor an inch or two after leveling again.

I have opened up the top and front lower compartments to look for any obvious problems. Springs look good but do they wear out? There are 3 shock absorbers, but I can't tell how to test them for wear. Should there be 4 shocks? Help, I don't know what to do next to fix it.

PGAfuture
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:38:15 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

It is a good possibility that a support item is broken and sometimes it is hard to see any damage. Change them out and check out the rest of the support area while you are in there.
pgafuture  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:47:40 PM(UTC)
pgafuture

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
It is a good possibility that a support item is broken and sometimes it is hard to see any damage. Change them out and check out the rest of the support area while you are in there.

Thanks for the reply. I have replaced all the shock absorbers (3) that were in there. I noticed ports for an additional shock absorber so I added one of the old ones that I've replaced into that spot. Still vibrating very rough, the machine jumps a half inch off the floor at the worst point of it.

When you say change out, what parts are you referring to aside from the shock absorbers? I was considering changing out the two springs on the upper porting of the outer tub. I noticed that the large wheel that the belt rides on is very slightly out of round, the belt seems to ride around it well.

There are 4 bolts on the back of the machine that seem to hold the tub in place, I'm guessing that you may be referring to these as the support system?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:02:37 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I would change out the springs and the big pulley to start with. Unfortunatley a lot of times there can be a problem that is just not visible.

Given the problems with these models you may want to think about replacing it if you cannot get it fixed with these low cost parts.
pgafuture  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:14:59 PM(UTC)
pgafuture

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
I would change out the springs and the big pulley to start with. Unfortunatley a lot of times there can be a problem that is just not visible.

Given the problems with these models you may want to think about replacing it if you cannot get it fixed with these low cost parts.

Thanks. My machine has 4 bolts in the back attaching to the outer tub, the bolt goes through some blue plastic spacers, is this normal? Could I be overlooking a shipping bolt? Or is this how the tub is supported? Obviously I'm trying to avoid spending good money after bad. Might go for the new machine. Damn.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply