Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FredPam  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:01:28 AM(UTC)
FredPam

Groups: Registered

Our Kenmore Elite Calpyso was not longer draining so we purchased a new pump from this website. The pump arrived within a day (thank you) and it was installed. Everything seems to be working and the tub fills but it still will not drain out. We've checked the hoses to make sure there was nothing blocking it and even changed the hose. The direction of the pump changes to drain the water but nothing happens. Is there anything else we need to do or is there something else that might need to be checked?

It's been two weeks and it's still not working...the part and shipping was over a 100.00 so we'd like to get the machine working. Thank you for your help!

:cool:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:00:34 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Fred and Pam

Well, sorry you have not been able to get the machine up and running after spending that money.

Can you post your full model number so we can see exactly what machine you have and also post the part number that you purchased so we can see exactly what you purchased. We then may be able to make some suggestions to get you going again.

Thanks
FredPam  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:21:42 AM(UTC)
FredPam

Hi, it's a Kenmore so the model number of the washing machine is 110.21082 000 - (I believe it's equivalent to GVW9959K-0) and the part number is AP3776224 (285990 which I think is the Kenmore part number). The pump is definitely working...but no matter what we've tried, it will not drain. The first item that went was the part under the wash plate and that repair cost us over $300.00. We didn't realize that there had been a recall on the part. When the service man came to fix it, it told us that the washer had been a huge problem from the start and that it was poorly made. He actually recommended junking it and just buying a new machine w/o all the bells and whistles.

Now we have the pump issue and also have the control panel which works when it want to work. The repair person was probably right about getting rid of the machine...but right now, we need to fix it.

If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

P
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:18:39 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Hi Guys

Because I am not there to talk with you and see your machine I am going to have to make some assumptions.

1. When you say the pump is definitely working I am assuming that you have observed it operating in both the counterclockwise direction (recirculation) and clockwise direction (drain mode).

2. When the machine is supposed to be draining, the pump is turning clockwise but no draining takes place.

3.The recirculation process works ok.

If this is case, then there would seem to be two possibilities (actually more, but lets concentrate on two for the time being).

1. There is an obstruction in your drain hose system. I know you have checked this and not found anything. Check the drain outlet from the machine to the sewer line..

2. The problem is in your drain check balls. Your model has two check balls which close off water ports. In recirculation mode a check ball closes off the drain port, in drain mode another check ball closes off the recirculation port. So, it seems like the most likely problem is the check ball that closes off the drain port is stuck, and so the machine cannot drain.

Unfortunately this second item is unlikely, but it is the best explanation we are left with. If the pump is operating correctly the water must drain unless there is an obstruction, either in the drain hoses/drain system itself or that check ball.

Anyway, see if you can get the drain system working by freeing up the drain hoses/drain line or the check ball, and if so then see if your control panel issue is still present.

I understand your need to fix this machine, but the service tech who first advised you was right on. These are great machines when they work, but when they do not, well, that's what you are experiencing.

If you have to replace the control panel I would say bite the bullet and get a no-frills top loading machine.

Well, see what you can do, post the results and let us know in detail what the control panel is doing.

Good luck, hope all this helps.
FredPam  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:06:33 PM(UTC)
FredPam

Hi - I thought I would let you know that there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the check balls or the drain hose. We think its the control panel that's 'instructing' the pump to keep recirculating even though the pump changes directions. Everything else seems to be working...so we did have to go out and get a new washer! Do you know anyone who needs a brand new pump?? Thank you for all of your help; if you can think of anything else, please let me know!
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:01:25 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, I am sorry you were not able to fix it, but in the long run you will be better off with a different machine. This machine is great when it works properly, but when it does not, well, you have that experience.

I am at a loss to explain why your machine would not drain. If the pump changed direction from recirculation mode and there was nothing blocking the discharge, the water had to leave the machine. Based on the design I do not think there is any way the water can recirculate if the pump is turning clockwise, unless there is a problem with the check balls, which you say there is not.

Good luck with your new washer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply