Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arkie102  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 11:26:45 AM(UTC)
arkie102

Groups: Registered

I have replaced the belt. I removed the front panel and checked the pump to see if any blockage and found none. Did not see broken propeller blades, However at the end of the spin pumping action the pump is still full of water. I can not see any water in the tub but the clothes are wet enough to get a little water out. At first thought it may not be spinning fast enough, but that does not seem to be the case. The pump spins.:confused:

Wes
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 5:25:20 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: arkie102 Go to Quoted Post
I have replaced the belt. I removed the front panel and checked the pump to see if any blockage and found none. Did not see broken propeller blades, However at the end of the spin pumping action the pump is still full of water. I can not see any water in the tub but the clothes are wet enough to get a little water out. At first thought it may not be spinning fast enough, but that does not seem to be the case. The pump spins.:confused:

Wes

You'll always see water in the pump. First thing to check is to see if the machine is removing all the water from the tub within a max of 90 seconds. The tub will not get up to full spin speed until all the water is gone. If it's not removing the water by then, I would suspect something partially blocking the flow of water from the tub down to the pump.

If it is getting rid of the water properly, sounds like something is slipping. Possibly motor tesioner, thrust bearing assembly, or something inside the transmission.
arkie102  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 2:20:34 PM(UTC)
arkie102

Originally Posted by: Frank / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
You'll always see water in the pump. First thing to check is to see if the machine is removing all the water from the tub within a max of 90 seconds. The tub will not get up to full spin speed until all the water is gone. If it's not removing the water by then, I would suspect something partially blocking the flow of water from the tub down to the pump.

If it is getting rid of the water properly, sounds like something is slipping. Possibly motor tesioner, thrust bearing assembly, or something inside the transmission.

There seems to more than one or two things which could cause the problem of wet clothes at the end of the spin cycle. There is nothing blocking the flow of water and the spin seems to empty the tub within the max 90 seconds. I understand the transmission pully and spin bearing may also be the problem. Before I make the major transmission replacement is there some way to check the pully and bearing, If you could provide the repair manual for the model MAV6451aww it will be appreciated.

Wes:confused:
arkie102  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:36:36 PM(UTC)
arkie102

There seems to more than one or two things which could cause the problem of wet clothes at the end of the spin cycle. There is nothing blocking the flow of water and the spin seems to empty the tub within the max 90 seconds. I understand the transmission pully and spin bearing may also be the problem. Before I make the major transmission replacement is there some way to check the pully and bearing, If you could provide the repair manual for the model MAV6451aww it will be appreciated.

Wes:confused:

A quick reply would be appreciated.:confused:
Wes
Frank / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:07:35 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

A quick reply would be appreciated.:confused:
Wes

Afraid I can't supply you a manual for your unit. When you turned the transmission in the spin direction did it turn hard?

You'll need to contact Maytag direct, which is now Whirlpool, to get a manual. We can assist with any parts your might need. If it is the transmission or bearing, you're looking at a pretty expensive/big repair. Probably more then what the machine is worth.
Frank / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:07:42 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Afraid I can't supply you a manual for your unit. When you turned the transmission in the spin direction did it turn hard?

You'll need to contact Maytag direct, which is now Whirlpool, to get a manual. We can assist with any parts your might need. If it is the transmission or bearing, you're looking at a pretty expensive/big repair. Probably more then what the machine is worth.

Found a link for a manual for you. You won't find your exact model listed on the manual, but as far as the breakdown of the bearing, seals and transmission aspect, it should be the same as your's. All the MAV's are pretty much the same mechanically.

http://servicematters.co...ibrary/docs/16026502.pdf
arkie102  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:02:24 AM(UTC)
arkie102

The transmission is not hard to turn in either direction. The washer spins and empties ok within the 90 seconds but spin speed does not seem to get to max spin after emptying the water and the clothes still left quite wet.

If the washer passes all the test which may cause a slow spin would you say the transmission is bad.?? The pump is ok, No restrictions in drain system. Belt ok. correct spin speed selected. No binding tub seal. brake action ok.

Final Question: If the washer appears to passes all checks which could cause spin speed too slow the transmission needs to be replaced. If so what is your labor estimate cost to replace the transmission. I no the price of the parts.

Thanks Wes:confused:
Frank / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:12:21 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

The transmission is not hard to turn in either direction. The washer spins and empties ok within the 90 seconds but spin speed does not seem to get to max spin after emptying the water and the clothes still left quite wet.

If the washer passes all the test which may cause a slow spin would you say the transmission is bad.?? The pump is ok, No restrictions in drain system. Belt ok. correct spin speed selected. No binding tub seal. brake action ok.

Final Question: If the washer appears to passes all checks which could cause spin speed too slow the transmission needs to be replaced. If so what is your labor estimate cost to replace the transmission. I no the price of the parts.

Thanks Wes:confused:

Can't qoute a price in your area, simply because it will vary from area to area and servicer to servicer. If everything comes a part easily it will take a good tech, somewhere between 1 and 2 hrs. A lot of factors come into play. Location of machine, condition of machine, rust, etc.

Did you scan through the service manual I linked to you? If you're real handy you may want to tackle yourself.

Sorry I can't give a definitive answer. Maybe some of the other posters can offer some estimates they charge.
arkie102  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:58:20 AM(UTC)
arkie102

Can't qoute a price in your area, simply because it will vary from area to area and servicer to servicer. If everything comes a part easily it will take a good tech, somewhere between 1 and 2 hrs. A lot of factors come into play. Location of machine, condition of machine, rust, etc.

Did you scan through the service manual I linked to you? If you're real handy you may want to tackle yourself.

Sorry I can't give a definitive answer. Maybe some of the other posters can offer some estimates they charge.

Thanks for you help. Transmission was bad. Repair costly.
WES
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply