Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
michaelh  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:44:51 PM(UTC)
michaelh

Groups: Registered

My topload will not spin or rotate at the end of the wash cycle-it only pumps out-if I lift the lid then the machine spins and pumps out.It runs fine on the spin cycle I have checked the coupling and it is in great condition-as I say-It is fine in the spin cycle at the end of the rinse cycle but after the wash cycle
it starts to pump out but I need to lift the lid to get it to spin .(normal operation occurs after this)
Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:13:48 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

You machine has a transmission with three speeds, forward, reverse and neutral. When it drains it is in neutral. In order to shift from neutral to the gear that causes it to spin, it must pause for a few seconds.

Your timer is not pausing. So when you open the lid you stop the motor and the machine thinks that is the appropriate pause, so it starts spinning when you lower the lid.

Now you can replace the timer, or you can just remember to lift the lid to make it spin. I would try this for a while, as on occasion this problem will work itself out.

Good luck.
michaelh  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 8:57:59 PM(UTC)
michaelh

sidfink43
Thanks for the advice.
I have some further info after closer inspection-the bowl does move approximately 1/4 turn as it starts to pump out but it then stops.
ps-after the wash cycle there is a delay of approx.20 seconds and I can hear the timer clicking over before it starts to pump.when I do lift the lid it does sound like it is banging into gear(as you suggested)
is it still likely to be the timer?
this has been occuring for some months now.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:16:18 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes, if the situation is that if you have to lift the lid after the draining part then the timer is likely at fault.

One thing you can do to be more certain is to take the cabinet off, bypass the lid switch and observe the machine as it goes through the agitate and rinse cycle. If the motor does not pause after the drain process (about 70 to 90 sec after the draining starts) then the likely problem is the timer.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
michaelh  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:15:52 AM(UTC)
michaelh

Any other suggestions?-I put in a new timer and the machine still has the same problem.
thanks
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:34:58 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Hi Michael

Sorry that did not fix it, that's the problem with a Forum like this, we are not there in front of the machine to see it in action, or see it not in action.

Let's try this. Flip up the console like you did before and disconnect the lid switch plastic coupling. By pass the lid switch by taking a short piece of solid copper insulated wire, with the ends exposed and inserting each end into the outer holes on the coupling piece coming from the console.

Run the machine and see if this fixes it. If so, replace the lid switch. If not, post again and let's see what else we can come up with, but the timer failing to pause is almost always the problem here, so this is kinda a long shot.
michaelh  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 10:38:12 PM(UTC)
michaelh

Sid Hi
Thanks for the advice-bypassed the lid switch but had the same problem- when you suggested the timer I turned off the power at the switch(rather than lifting the lid) at pump out and it would clunk into gear and the bowl would spin(I thought this also proved it was a timer problem)
any other ideas before I go down the service call road?
Thanks
Michael
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:19:14 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Boy, I wish I did. Since it goes through the rinse cycle ok it would seem that it would have to be the timer, but it is very unlikely you would get a replacement timer with the exact same problem as your original one.

One other question, does this happen in all cycles?
michaelh  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 2:38:10 PM(UTC)
michaelh

Sid Hi
Sorry for the delay in replying.
The machine does it in all 3 cycles.I was unaware of this before but the problem happens not only at the end of the wash cycle but occurs at the pump out stage of the rinse cycle(the one before the spin cycle) as well.Interrupting the power supply at the wall socket or activating the lid switch allows the machine to pump and rotate as per normal.
Not sure if this info is of any help
Thanks
Michael
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 2:50:47 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, it helps me be even more confused. See if you can exchange the new timer for another one as that is the only answer I can come up with.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply