Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
neupur5  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:08:36 AM(UTC)
neupur5

Groups: Registered

Hi I have a Maytag washer (5 years old) SAV4655EWW. We had several issues with that. The drain was not working. So I have replaced the pump. The drain works fine now ( I have also replaced the belt).
Now the agitator is not spining and it is making a lound noice. So I have open the front cover and run the wash cycle. I can see the belt is working fine. However, the agitator is not moving and the plastic part below the pulley is not engaging.
So I have removed the motor and remove the belt and try to rotate the pulley by hand on both directions (clockwise and counter clockwise) it rotates fine. But agitator still doesn't rotate.
I have also from the tub try to rotate the agitator but it does not move no matter how much forcefully I tried. Looks like something is holding it tight.
What could be wrong here? What else I can do to figure out the issue? Please help... :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 5:11:18 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This seems like something is wrong with the transmission, that when the motor spins fast this causes whatever is broken to jam up.
neupur5  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:00:17 AM(UTC)
neupur5

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
This seems like something is wrong with the transmission, that when the motor spins fast this causes whatever is broken to jam up.

So what will be the possible resolution?
How I can confirm that transmission is the issue here?
Can I fix it or need to replace it? If need a fix then what and how?
If I need to replace it with a new/rebuild then how I can remove/Install transmission?
How difficult/easy it is to do?

Thanks in advance.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:49:23 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

If you take the belt off and operate the machine and observe the motor, and the motor runs okay that it is almost certainly the transmission.

Given the cost of the part and the difficulty of the repair and the fact that Maytag will not let us link you to the service manual on this model I would say go ahead and replace it.
neupur5  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:01:26 PM(UTC)
neupur5

If you take the belt off and operate the machine and observe the motor, and the motor runs okay that it is almost certainly the transmission.

Given the cost of the part and the difficulty of the repair and the fact that Maytag will not let us link you to the service manual on this model I would say go ahead and replace it.

Thanks sidfink43.
I have done that and motor is running ok.
If I replace the transmission do I need to replace anything else as well?
Do you have any step by step or video to replace the transmission?
What tools I need to do this job?
Where I can get the transmission/parts?

Thanks
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:30:04 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Okay, this site is actually an appliance parts site. This Forum is something the company has put on the site to help DIYers fix their appliance. People like me who respond on this site are volunteers, not connected with the company. (just to give you some background)

If you will put your model number into the space under the Find Parts section you will be taken to exploded views of your machine with the parts and their prices.

The biggest problem is that you need a service manual and I cannot get you one because Maytag has decided they will no longer provide access to their service library and technical notes. You can attempt to get one from Maytag or search the Net for a download, that may or may not cost a nominal fee.
DH49464  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:26:05 PM(UTC)
DH49464

Hello,

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I have a similar problem.

Drum will not spin during spin cycle, clothes soaking wet. Belt in place, everything else works including motor (not sure about the agitator). I took the belt off and the pulley assembly fell off (dropped). Come to find out the c-clip broke. I can turn the shaft and the agitator turns fine. I turn the shaft opposite way and the agitator stops turning but the tub does not turn. In general, should the tub turn freely because I cannot get it to turn at the top or by the shaft? Is the brake engaged not allowing the tub to turn? How else can I determine if the trans is locked up? What am I missing since the agitator seems to work fine? Can it be as easy as replacing the c-clip?

Thanks for everyone's time,

DH (Model#MAV7650AWW)
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:58:11 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Actually it probably is, but go ahead and replace the thrust bearing kit, this part
here

Part number: AP4009132
Part number: AP4009132

One person can do the job but it will go much better with a helper. Instructions are enclosed.
DH49464  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2012 3:42:00 AM(UTC)
DH49464

Actually it probably is, but go ahead and replace the thrust bearing kit, this part
here

One person can do the job but it will go much better with a helper. Instructions are enclosed.

Thanks for your quick response!

I'll give it a try and report back.

DH
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:38:52 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, let us know how it goes but 9 out of 10 times this will fix your problem.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply