Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
silver1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:55:29 PM(UTC)
silver1

Groups: Registered

The washer works just fine until it gets to the spinning part which it doesn't do at all. I tried to spin it manually but it doesn't go. Water drains just fine so the pump it's fine and agitates so the coupler it's fine and the lid switch is fine also. Could it be the brakes or the clutch? Any video i can watch and part numbers to buy?

I'll greatly appreciate it, thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:30:11 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The clutch is likely the problem, see the Sticky at the top of the main washer page by Richappy on Direct Drive brakes.

Here is the part and a video on how to replace it.

Part number: AP3094537
silver1  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:55:07 PM(UTC)
silver1

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
The clutch is likely the problem, see the Sticky at the top of the main washer page by Richappy on Direct Drive brakes.

Here is the part and a video on how to replace it.

Part number: AP3094537

Thanks, i'll try that and let you know
silver1  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 5:54:20 AM(UTC)
silver1

I replaced the coupler because i found it broken in one leg and i also replaced the clutch. It spinned just once but it went back to not spinning.
i took the transmission down again and moved the coupler manually and i saw the rod moving. I manually moved it in the opposite direction and it did the agitation movement also. Is the engine suppose to rotate in both directions to do both actions (one at a time of course) during normal operation? Could it be that the electrical motor is not rotating in the spinning direction? The water pump is working just fine.
I'm not sure what's going on here.
Any help will be gratly appreciate it

Thanks
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 7:07:32 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The motor does reverse to go into spin, and if the machine is draining it means the motor is turning correctly during the spin function.

If the clutch is not the problem, then it is possible the drive block has slipped. You will need to take off the agitator to check it out. You will also need a special spanner wrench.

Before doing all of that I would check out the clutch and make sure it is on correctly since it spun once.
bsaucer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:54:43 AM(UTC)
bsaucer

The motor turns one way for agitate. Then it turns the other way for drain. After the water has drained for 2-3 minutes, the motor should stop and start again for spin.

If it doesn't spin when you first try it, stop the motor and restart it to see if it will spin. Sometimes you hear a "klunk" when you stop the motor during drain. That's when the spin engages.

If it still won't spin after the second try, try turning the tub. If that helps get it going, then the clutch is slipping. Try cleaning the clutch and clutch drum.
silver1  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:05:43 AM(UTC)
silver1

I tried helping it to spin but the drum is stuck. it turns just fine if you release the brakes by pushing the white plastic thing that comes with the clutch and turn the drum manually (from underneath).I'll try tonight to see if the clutch turns during the spin cycle and also turning the coupler manually without the motor. I just want to make sure is not a transmission problem.

Thanks
silver1  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:10:00 AM(UTC)
silver1

I watched this time with the washing machine's body off and the clutch doesn't move at all during spin. I took the transmission outside without the motor and spinned the coupler manually clockwise and the clutch doesn't move either. I guess it's a broken spin gear or pinion. I'll take it apart tonight to know more for certain. I was wondering how can i take the cover of the transmission off because i unscrewed all of the screws and didn't come off easily. Do i have to use a thin screwdriver and a hammer maybe? what's the correct procedure?

Thanks
silver1  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:02:20 AM(UTC)
silver1

I finally took the gearcase apart and the plastic spin gear was just fine but the white plastic piece of the Neutral Drain Kit that goes underneath the plastic gear was all damaged. I'll go ahead and replace it. I'll post the results
silver1  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 5:30:52 AM(UTC)
silver1

I replaced the part of the Neutral Drain Kit that was broken and now everything is fine. It's agitating and spinning like it's suppose to.
One thing that i learned: take the cabinet off, put a little jumper in the lid switch, set the timer in the spin position and look at the clutch. If it isn't moving (rotating) then the problem it's inside the transmission. I would have saved some money by not buying a part that i didn't need in the first place.
Thanks for all your help guys. This forum is great.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply