Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rexblisard  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:34:17 AM(UTC)
rexblisard

Groups: Registered

I just installed a new transmission (HT trans S) HT stands for high torque (AP4373431 (35-6615)). The Maytag Atlantis now works great, as far as washing, spinning.....but the transmission is very loud. I wonder if this is just the nature of the HT (high torque transmission upgrade) or whether it may be a prelude of things to come. I believe my new transmission has a year warranty. I thought it may just need some time to "wear in" and maybe it will get quieter. It has a "new odor", but this is probably because it is new. :) The Atlantis selling point was being quiet. I did notice what appeared to be some sound deadening ~1/8 thick "boards" inside the machine, when I replaced the transmission. If anyone has any ideas on sound deadening or whether the new HT transmission is just normally loud (I estimate it to now be 3 times louder than the original transmission/machine sound) I would appreciate any ideas... Rex

Feb 13, 2012........The problem was that the V-Belt was between the water pump pully and the bottom of the machine. Strangely enough the pump and everything else worked fine. The only symptom was a strange loud low pitched squealing sound that seemed to be coming from the water pump. I can't believe I made such a foolish mistake. I checked the belt twice and even pulled it each direction. I felt sure the belt was in all three pullys...It wasn't. I will do better next time. One more thing. My washer is incredible...transmission...works great and "yep" it is a "lot" quieter!!! :) Thanks to everyone that tried to help...Take Care, Rex
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 5:38:58 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

It should not be making noise or need a break in period, but it is hard to say what exactly is wrong.

Maytag has issued on service bulletin on noise but it doesn't sound like what is happening with your machine

Intermittent noise:

An intermittent noise can occur when the suspension spring on the
transmission contacts the motor pivot spring. This does not happen
on a consistent basis, but is suspected to occur with larger loads.
When the brake is applied at the end of a spin cycle, the outer tub
moves in a clockwise direction, which can cause the two springs to
make contact. A shiny area may be noted on the motor pivot spring

where contact was made.

I can only suggest you return the transmission for an exchange, that will at least determine if you got a bad tranny or if the problem is in the bearing or someplace else in the machine.
rexblisard  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 4:31:35 PM(UTC)
rexblisard

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
It should not be making noise or need a break in period, but it is hard to say what exactly is wrong.

Maytag has issued on service bulletin on noise but it doesn't sound like what is happening with your machine

Intermittent noise:
An intermittent noise can occur when the suspension spring on the
transmission contacts the motor pivot spring. This does not happen
on a consistent basis, but is suspected to occur with larger loads.
When the brake is applied at the end of a spin cycle, the outer tub
moves in a clockwise direction, which can cause the two springs to
make contact. A shiny area may be noted on the motor pivot spring

where contact was made.

I can only suggest you return the transmission for an exchange, that will at least determine if you got a bad tranny or if the problem is in the bearing or someplace else in the machine.

The problem turned out to be that the power V-Belt was between the pully of the water pump and the bottom of the washer. Strangely enough the machine worked fine, it was just loud. I checked the pulleys twice and even pulled the belt each direction when I was putting it back together. It is embarrassing I made such a foolish mistake…I will do better next time. I wanted to say thank you for your help…these forums are very valuable “tools” for repairing machines. My washer is now very quiet and does great!!! Take care, Rex
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 5:05:27 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well that's great that the belt was all there was to the problem, and thanks for the kind words and for getting back to us.

Good luck with your machine in the future.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply