Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
qzymfl  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2009 1:31:40 PM(UTC)
qzymfl

Groups: Registered

The machine agitates just fine,when it comes to the spin cycle the water drains out. I hear a noise but the basket is not spinning. The wate in the clothes remains becuse it is not spinning.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 8:53:07 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The most likely suspect is a failing clutch, check out this site to see how to access it and replace it.

Clutch Replacement on Whirlpool and Kenmore Washers
qzymfl  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:05:47 PM(UTC)
qzymfl

i when to the web site to review how the clutch assembly comes out. What is puzzelling is how the cabinet comes off after the agitator assembly is removed. Do you have any additional pictures or descriptions to communicate the steps needed to remove the washer cabinet?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 5:11:19 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yep, this will show you how

Kenmore top loader blues ‎(SublimeMasterJW's Appliance Advice)‎

Good luck, let us know if you need more info
qzymfl  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:42:14 PM(UTC)
qzymfl

I am A little unclear as to how to take the transmission out. Is the clutch connected to the trans. Do you have more descriptive documentation that I can follow? I removed the cabinet put a jumper in place to jumper out the lid switch. I then turn the washer to spin. The motor is running, but does the clutch hub or housing suppose to spin because it is not spinning.......
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 5:05:42 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Sure, not a difficult task. These are set up to be serviced. Take off the agitator and then do the following.

1. Take off the two clips that hold the pump to the motor. You can take off the pump from the hoses but be prepared for water to come out.

2. Take the screws out of the clips holding the motor and release the clips. Take off the wire harness from the motor and the connections to the capacitor if they are there (mark what goes where) and pull off the motor.

3. Lay the machine gently on its back. You can now take out the three bolts that hold the transmission on and pull it out. The clutch is attached to the transmission and it will be obvious how to replace it.

Take a look at Richappy's Sticky at the top of this page for additional details.
qzymfl  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 2:22:02 PM(UTC)
qzymfl

In reviewing a technical Whirlpool manuel, it stated that the clutch hub or housing should be spinning during the spin cycle. My washers clutch does not spin but will agitate during the wash cycle. The trouble shooting guide states that if the cluth hub/housing is not spinning during the spin cycle, that the problem is in the gear/trans case... Do you concur?
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 3:18:26 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes, but you still want to take off the clutch and make sure it is not the problem, that it is not attached in the correct manner or that somehow the brakes are not the problem. Again, look at Richappy's Sticky, it really describes the troubleshooting process.
qzymfl  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:08:38 PM(UTC)
qzymfl

I have the trans mission and cluth assembly out of the mahine. As I rotate the motor coupling one direction , you can see the rod stick out of the gear assembly agitate. When you spin the coupler in the opposite direction the cluth does not move nor does the rod. It appears the problem is in the Trans.. The question that I have is after taking off the C-clip that holds the clutch in place, the clutch will not disengage from the trans.. What am I missing. Am i suppose to pry the clutch from the trans?
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:46:57 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

There is a retaining rink that you must take off. It is compressed around and under a rim. Given your difficulty you may want to order the Whirlpool Direct Drive Service Manual from APP or another source. It has very good descriptions and photos
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply