Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rexblisard  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:57:24 AM(UTC)
rexblisard

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Atlantis (Model MAV8551AWQ) and I believe I need a new transmission as I can turn the pulley that runs the transmission and it agitates in either the CW or CCW direction. When in the wash cycle it will not spin fast enough to release the fabric softener, then it will spin and the water will be pumped out but the tub does not continue spinning and the clothes do not get damp dry and are wet. The agitator continues agitating through the rest of the cycle with no water in the tub (tub not spinning) and has worn holes in clothing. Reading from you repair site I believe I need a new transmission. I dissembled the washer to the point of the transmission still being in the outer plastic tub and I thought I would wait until I see if I can remove the attachment (nut with 4 bolt holes) that the metal tub was attached to, so I can see if I can remove this part without damaging the plastic tube. I have the lower part of the transmission in a vice and I have a plastic piece on top of where the metal tub was attached (where the agitator) bolts into. If you have any suggestion on removing the noted plastic piece and the other piece (metal nut that has 4 bolt holes and is where the metal tub was attached). Please advise…………Is the nut left hand threads (I would turn CW to remove nut?). Any ideas would be appreciated.

I plan on ordering the following parts for my machine:
1. Transmission AP4373431. Is this the correct transmission for the noted machine?
2. Spanner wrench AP4024496
3. Snubber AP4024496
4. Used two C-clamps to remove brake…seems to work ok.
5. Thrust bearing kit AP4009132
6. Grease…or any other suggestion.

Thank you,
Rex
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rexblisard  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2012 6:56:43 AM(UTC)
rexblisard

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: rexblisard Go to Quoted Post
I have a Maytag Atlantis (Model MAV8551AWQ) and I believe I need a new transmission as I can turn the pulley that runs the transmission and it agitates in either the CW or CCW direction. When in the wash cycle it will not spin fast enough to release the fabric softener, then it will spin and the water will be pumped out but the tub does not continue spinning and the clothes do not get damp dry and are wet. The agitator continues agitating through the rest of the cycle with no water in the tub (tub not spinning) and has worn holes in clothing. Reading from you repair site I believe I need a new transmission. I dissembled the washer to the point of the transmission still being in the outer plastic tub and I thought I would wait until I see if I can remove the attachment (nut with 4 bolt holes) that the metal tub was attached to, so I can see if I can remove this part without damaging the plastic tube. I have the lower part of the transmission in a vice and I have a plastic piece on top of where the metal tub was attached (where the agitator) bolts into. If you have any suggestion on removing the noted plastic piece and the other piece (metal nut that has 4 bolt holes and is where the metal tub was attached). Please advise…………Is the nut left hand threads (I would turn CW to remove nut?). Any ideas would be appreciated. ***

I plan on ordering the following parts for my machine:
1. Transmission AP4373431. Is this the correct transmission for the noted machine?
2. Spanner wrench AP4024496
3. Snubber AP4024496
4. Used two C-clamps to remove brake…seems to work ok.
5. Thrust bearing kit AP4009132
6. Grease…or any other suggestion.

Thank you,
Rex

*** NOTE: The threads are right hand (turn CCW to remove) the “plastic” seal screws down on top of the aluminum, metal nut (4 holes). The tub can also be removed by removing screws under 4-hole nut and at edge of tube. You have a lot more working room and there is less chance of damaging the tub. The nut had galled and it took me about 4 hours and a big hammer to remove…what a hassle.
Rex
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply