Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rothrc  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:28:48 PM(UTC)
rothrc

Groups: Registered

When washing, the tub seems to spin faster than usual while the agitator is working. If I hold down slightly on the tub it slows down and works as normal. Is there a brake somewhere that may be worn? It gets to the point where water will splash over the top of the tub and onto the ground. :(

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jerry L. Dunnahoo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:29:50 PM(UTC)
Jerry L. Dunnahoo

Groups: Expert

The first thing to do is check under the machine for any oil leakage. If there is any oil leaking it has probably gotten on the brake rotor. The brake stator is like a dish which tends to hold oil and saturate the brake rotor. You can try to clean using rubbing alchol, but I found that the best thing is to replace the rotor and lining assembly. The brake is inside the thing that looks like a dish with a hole in the center with six 5/16 inch head screws holding it in place. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE BRAKE STATOR WITHOUT THE TOOL MADE SPECIALLY FOR THIS BECAUSE THE SPRING UNDER IT WILL PROPELL THE WHOLE THING IN YOUR FACE !!! AND THEN OUCH!!! The bad news is that if oil leakage is present, the lower transmission seal is probably at fault and this can be a real issue as normally the transmission has to be replaced to eliminate the leakage. If the transmission is leaking, cleaning the oil from the brake is useless as it will leak in the brake assembly again and waste your time all over again. There is the possibility of the 200 lb. spring being broken (I've only seen this once in 21 years of field experience so this is rather unlikely). If no oil is present, I have on several occasions found that the lining has seperated from the rotor. In this case you need only to replace the brake rotor and lining assembly. And since it has to be removed to get to it, I always recommend the replacement of the thrust bearing kit, as it is one of the most common failures in models of this design. Good Luck! =]
rothrc  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:16:55 PM(UTC)
rothrc

Thank you! I will check it out and report back what I find. I know there is no oil on the floor, but will check the rest this weekend. Thanks again for your information!
rothrc  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 5:15:40 PM(UTC)
rothrc

can i rent the compression tool somewhere? i am a DIY guy. i have already priced out the brake rotor and pulley/thrust bearing kit.
Jerry L. Dunnahoo  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 8:51:40 PM(UTC)
Jerry L. Dunnahoo

Groups: Expert

Some appliance stores will rent out the tool. You can call around and see if you can find a store that will rent you one. If you can't locate one, your other option would be to purchase one. If you decide to purchase one the part number is AP3854726 and they do show to be in stock now. Your price would be 67.63 and it has instructions for safe use included. Good luck! =]
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:01:12 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You do NOT need the brake release tool, the performa brake housing screws are long enough to enable the brake housing to come loose without tension on the brake spring.
In the general talk section, read my article "Maytag Performa washer snubber replacement" There you will find all the info you need.
rothrc  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:54:19 PM(UTC)
rothrc

@richappy,
Good to know. I did not want to spend $60+ for something that I did not need. I have watched a few youtube videos as well and see that if you back off the screws slowly, then the spring tension is released.

I really appreciate your and Jerry's contributions on how I should proceed in fixing my washing machine.

Thanks to you both! I still have not been able to take it apart due to a recent back injury, but will get to tht point soon!

Thank you both!!!!
rothrc  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2012 8:28:10 AM(UTC)
rothrc

Replacing the brake solved the problem! The old brake had a little bit of grease on it....which leads me to believe that the tranny is on it's way out. Anyway, it works perfect now! I did not need a special spring tool. I just watched a youtube video where the guy removes 2 screws and replaces them with longer screws and removes the retaining ring. search for "Brake assembly Performa washer" and you will find it.
Thanks again!! I only spent around $40 and about an hour of my time.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply