Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CATWOMAN0918  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 10:41:27 AM(UTC)
CATWOMAN0918

Groups: Registered

The agitator won't spin enough to get the clothes dry, my boyfriend(of 14 yrs sounds funny boyfriend at my age lol) but he said the belt is no good took off the front panel and now he is going to hopefully pickup the new belt on his way back from his doc apt. He is an Oral Cancer patient 2 time survivor so far and now this Friday he has surgical biopsy for a spot on his lung and he thinks he can do this himself...he weighs nothing but he has spunk let me tell ya! Will he be able to do this himself you think? I told him to get his brother in law to help him. If it's going to be too hard I'd rather have a machine that works well enough maybe for a small light load to take care of delicate stuff at least while he's in the hospital.

any pictures of how to do this if it's going to be hard?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 10:52:06 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This is not hard, but it is awkward, and unless he can get the machine on a pedestal at about shoulder level it means lying down and twisting in an unusual way.

He definitely should have some help, I try to palm off jobs like this on people who are younger, smarter and stronger than I am, or in my world, everyone else.

It is not a difficult job, and if you click on your model number you will be taken to exploded views of your model. This is an older Frigidaire made machine.
CATWOMAN0918  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 11:17:22 AM(UTC)
CATWOMAN0918

where do you want me to "click" on my model # at? And I figured it was hold it was given to us as a backup machine and it has been backup for about a year or so. He refuses to have help...than he gets mad he can't do the job...ya one of those kind he definately will not be able to twist and turn his head he's had 2 reconstructive surgeries with his neck being cut and he can barely turn his neck and head now. I'll clue him in on how he has to twist and turn and see what he says, gonna keep this website and tune in for more fun from us to come I'm sure! I say get a new machine...but of course the wallet says differently...damn.
thank you for the response
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 12:01:18 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

On your first post you will see your model number highlighted. Click on it and it will take you to diagrams of your machine.

Look, working on these machines for many pro's is a two person job. If you were to check back with my posts I frequently advise the person doing the work to have a helper. It will go faster and it will go safer. If spunk could do it alone Mary Tyler Moore would be a great repair person (see pilot show, Mary Tyler Moore show if you don't get the reference).

If the machine cannot be raised, it can be tilted back to ease getting to the parts.

I understand the economics of getting a new machine, that why we like to respond on this site,(we are volunteers, not associated with APP or its parts operations) to try and help people avoid that. But your model is pretty old, and you cannot be absolutely certain the belt is the problem, in fact it probably is not and new machines in our areas, basic top loaders can be had for $300.00 and even less with a floor model or a special price. I strongly suggest you go that way, you will be much happier for a lot of reasons, some of which you have expressed yourself.

Good luck, hope this helps
CATWOMAN0918  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 12:17:29 PM(UTC)
CATWOMAN0918

found the link and I thank you and yes it sounds like not alot but I'm the only one working full time and he is on disablity. We will spend the 20 bux first and hopefully his brother in law can come over to help he fixed 2 dryers of mine putting in new heating coils in them he's schooled in this stuff. Maybe he will come and hang out and help Ron fix this if it don't work...than we have to go with the new machine, I've looked already and have found GE's for $341 and I wouldn't mind a scratch and dent as long as it works and get it cheaper I can go that route, Home Depot right up the street, what do you suggest? Home Depot or HH Gregg stores? any ideas? I appreciate your help!
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 12:41:21 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Roper, Estate and Admiral are all labels that Whirlpool makes with essentially the same parts. They sell them without the Whirlpool label so they can price them lower without canibalizing the Whirlpool brand. Also, beleive it or not some of the big stores will bargain with you, they just don't want to publicize that.

You should shop every store in your area, and I feel certain you can do very well at under $300.00 if you just put the time into it. (time is money in this case).

I would also explore something like Craigslist, you can get some really good washers for about $150.00 in our area.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply