Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
muditkumar@hotmail.com  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2012 4:23:36 PM(UTC)
muditkumar@hotmail.com

Groups: Registered

Got a Whirlpool washer, behaves same with light/medium/load and in various cycles. Wash works find except the last spin cycle does not remove water from clothes.

So I opened lid, used screwdriver to go-through wash cycles while I watch. For some reasons the SPIN cycle does *NOT* rotate drum and hence water does not drain out of clothes. If I manually try to move tub drum using my hands, it rotates but slowly.

What could be the issue and what part needs change? Also what is the confidence % (100%=sure thing) of that part being the primary culprit?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:21:27 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

At the 95% confidence level the clutch (and possibly the brakes which can malfunction and cause the clutch to wear out) is the issue. Here is the part

Part number: AP3094538
Part number: AP3094538

and read the excellent Sticky by Richappy at the top of the Washer forum on direct drive brakes.
muditkumar@hotmail.com  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:47:25 PM(UTC)
muditkumar@hotmail.com

Thanks Sidfink43 - I greatly appreciate it!! My washer leaves just little water (half Gallon) only, draining the rest out.

Should I change the clutch lining (AP3094538) or is it better to change the whole clutch assembly (AP3094537) unit as it is also little cheaper. (Diag 4, Part#5 for Whirlpool Model LSR8010PQ1)

Also should I change Brake Shoe (Part# AP3094432)?

While there do I need replace Coupler (Part# AP3963893)?

Would I need a Spanner Wrench and is it part# (AP4503397)?

Please confirm and I would order parts to do my own repair. Do i need to order all of above items or could I save on any? Please reply ASAP.

Thanks, this site has helped fix my washer myself for the FIRST time ever!!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:12:47 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

My thinking on the clutch is just to replace the liner, ie, do only what you need to do as there is less chance of having a problem. But if you want to replace the whole assembly that's fine.

I cannot tell you about the brakes, take a look at them and make sure they are operating correctly. I generally do not replace them unless their is an obvious problem. But brakes hanging up can be the cause of a clutch wearing out along with overloading the machine.

I would also replace the coupling while you are in there. It is good preventive maintenance and the new coupling have a metal lining where the shaft goes through the plastic pieces, so they are stronger and will last longer. They are sometimes difficult to get on, but a little machine oil and light tapping with a socket and hammer will do the job.

You do not need a spanner wrench or special tool, and the video will show you how to do everything. And remember, you are not doing this to save money on parts, you are doing this to save money on labor.
muditkumar@hotmail.com  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:34:00 AM(UTC)
muditkumar@hotmail.com

Thanks Sidfink43 - I will purchase clutch and coupler parts and keep you posted on how it went. Yes, I am saving on labor and visits (which is LOT). Your comments and replies allowed me to get confident on moving ahead and do it myself.

Wanted to put the feeler out for everyone as to how important your and other experts comments are for us "novices". I am expert on Computers and programming (Engineer by degree) but this is the first time I will ever repair a washer - all possible because of excellent expert advice and videos you experts put out. Else I might be willing to pay $100-200 and part+labor and get this out of my way or even decide to buy a new one (I almost was...until I came across this site!). Believe me, your good work does not go un-noticed. THANKS AGAIN!!
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:06:08 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well we appreciate your comments, but the videos produced by APP (no, those of us who reply are not associated with the company) that really are making a difference. And let's see if what we said actually was correct, it's not always possible commenting from afar.

I strongly recommend you have a helper. We can make these repairs ourselves but only after a lot of experience. Also, plan to take plenty of time and go slow. Given your background you should do just fine.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
muditkumar@hotmail.com  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:10:32 AM(UTC)
muditkumar@hotmail.com

sidfink43, more updates for you...please reply.

OK I did the repair work on my Whirlpool washer and replaced:
(1) washer motor coupling, and
(2) AP3094537 - Clutch assembly.

The washer worked perfectly first two time. Then I found clothes still soaked. Holding the lid open and using screw-driver to see all cycles, I found "SPIN" was the culprit.

So I gave a small push to drum with my hand, and it started rotaing and picked up the speed for SPIN. It finished the clothes just perfect.

So the problem is why drum is *not* starting on its own during SPIN cycle? For now, I have a work-around by getting it started by hand, and that seems to have worked so far.

Any insights or solution? Do I need to grease some part?

Almost there....
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:53:38 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well darn

The symptoms you describe fit the diagnosis of a bad clutch almost perfectly, but since you have already replaced the clutch that makes a diagnosis of the clutch hard to come by.

Try this.

Take off the cabinet and by pass the lid switch with a jumper wire (connect the two non-green wire terminals where the wires come from the console) and put the machine into spin. You don't need to fill it or have clothes in it.

Observe the clutch housing and see if it is turning when the machine is supposed to be spinning. If it is, the problem can be the clutch lining or clutch has gotten messed up some way. If it is not turning the problem can be the brakes hanging up, or the capacitor on the motor (very unusual, and not likely if the machine agitates) or the clutch housing is not secure. All of this is not likely but we are kinda out of the good options here.

If all else fails take it apart, reinstall the new clutch and see if that works. Yes, I do that a lot myself, and end up fixing things but not knowing the why of it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply