Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rcheid  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:39:28 AM(UTC)
rcheid

Groups: Registered

My washer does agitate but it seems to be in a "gentle" mode, no matter what cycle I choose. And then when it gets to the hyper-drive (installation guy said it sounded like a jet, which it did, until a week ago)for the draining, it wont' do that either. the lid was not clicking upon closing, so we assumed it was the lid switch asm. replaced that, but it is still not working. :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:59:12 PM(UTC)
applianceman

The motor has error codes and some of these error codes will limit the motors speed. This page will tell you about the code and how to clear the code. I recommend clearing the code and if the code returns replace the part recommended on this page HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide
rcheid  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:04:11 AM(UTC)
rcheid

thanks, but that brought only bad news! 9 flashes! what a piece of junk! and this was supposed to be a consumer reports best buy....what a joke. found the part on line for $196 and change. do you have any opinion as to whether or not it's worth replacing and can it be done without any of those "special tools" mentioned on the repair guide page?
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:17:52 AM(UTC)
applianceman

9 flashes means bad motor and yes you can replace it without special tools. But as I said clear the code and it may not ever come back and if it does then replace the motor.
rcheid  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:05:02 AM(UTC)
rcheid

we did clear it twice. turned it off, unplugged it for 20 seconds, plugged it back in and opened/closed the lid 6 times. at first the light blinked slowly and then it went back to flashing 9 times.

there are only two of us. we don't have a houseful of kids, so it's not like it was worked to death. so then the next question is, if the motors are shot after only 2 years of what I would call limited use, then would it be a waste of money to spend $200 on another motor that will probably only last 2 more years?
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:27:25 PM(UTC)
applianceman

When GE first came out with these washers (somewhere around the time you brought yours) the motors and the shifter coils were going out left and right. GE has assured us that they have worked through these problems. I can’t say if that is true or not but I can say that I don’t get nearly as many calls on these washers now.

With that being said you could put that motor on and the washer not give another minutes trouble for a long time. But then again you could replace the motor and something else breaks next week. I can tell that you are not happy with this washer so you might be happier with another brand. But it won’t take long going through this forum to find that all brands breakdown.

It is totally up to you, would you rather spend $200 on this one or $400+ on a new one. To be honest I don’t know what I would do in your situation.
rcheid  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:07:17 PM(UTC)
rcheid

That explains why they had to come pick up the first one they delivered ~ it never ran to begin with! We should have known then!
Thanks for the additional info about their attempts to fix things. That may (or may not!) play a part in our decision. Right now, my hubby is just pretty ticked off about the whole thing, since HE's the one doing the fixing!
Appreciate your help!
rcheid  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:58:56 AM(UTC)
rcheid

Here's the latest update. We gave up on it for a couple of weeks last summer. Then one day, after a week of nagging about what in the world we were going to do about laundry, my husband plugged the thing back in, flipped the lid a few times and turned it on. AND IT WORKED! For several months it worked fine - then it stopped ...AGAIN. We unplugged it and let it sit for a couple weeks again, and just as I was sorting change one day for the laundormat - hubby got it working AGAIN. Trying to remember what he did last time, he thought maybe the lid was OPEN when we plugged it back in and flipped the lid. When he tired it that way - it worked again. Well, now here it is mid-February and the dumb thing has died again. It appears to me that it has nothing at all to do with the motor itself - it's the stupid electronics that are all screwed up. And they have people spending 200+ to replace a motor that does NOT need to be replaced. I mean, if the motor were shot, it would stay shot, wouldn't it? It would not just ramdomly start/stop working......?
rcheid  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:52:18 PM(UTC)
rcheid

And now I have what I hope is the final update. My husband sent an e-mail to GE complaining about the washer. They replied that they would supply the motor, but they wanted a tech to come check it out and replace it. My husband sent back that we didn't need a tech, that the error code of 9 indicates the motor is shot. Two days later a new motor was delivered!
Scot put the new motor in, but we compared the two first. It appears that the changes they made to the new one were done to protect if from over-heating. The cooling fins on the back were modified and there is a thin plastic sheet protecting the front. Some of the modules on the motherboard appear to be coated as well. After looking at the new one, it dawned on me that the washer always 'died' after I had done many loads of laundry. We're thinking now that the motherboard was overheated and although the computer was able to recover the first 3 times, the last time it must have gotten fried.
Needless to say, I won't be doing laundry one load after the other any more. Since I work from home, that works fine for me.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply