Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
krich  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 1:32:23 PM(UTC)
krich

Groups: Registered

Both the top and bottom part of the agitator don't have enough power to agitate clothes anymore. The agitator still goes back and forth a little bit and will look as those its working properly if the the washer is empty. The washer spins fills/drains properly. I took the center cap off the agitator and the shoes(dogs) appear to be in good condition. I can't get the agitator out of the washer going by any of the videos/directions I have seen posted though. When I hold the bottom part of the agitator still the bolt will spin in place. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or how to get the agitator out would be appreciated. This thing is from the late 70's so maybe retiring it won't be a bad option, it just seemed to be going strong until yesterday. The matching dryer hasn't had any problems. Kenmore 11082172110
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

krich  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 4:03:09 PM(UTC)
krich

I finally figured out how to get the agitator off, the washer had to mechanically be in the correct cycle for the bolt to loosen. This also made me notice that the problem was that the bolt had come loose on it's own. Tightened the bolt up and it seems to work for a little until the bolt loosens it's self again. Any thoughts on keeping the bolt on top the agitator from loosening itself? It seems kinda crazy that that it's just a rubber washer held down by a bolt that transfers all the power. I'm going to try getting a new bolt and washer and see if that helps. Any downside to putting a ton of torque on that bolt?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:31:18 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Inspect the tranny spindle, probably the splines rusted off on the top. Might continue to have problems if the agitator splines are also worn.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:41:54 AM(UTC)
richappy

Inspect the tranny spindle, probably the splines rusted off on the top. Might continue to have problems if the agitator splines are also worn.
krich  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:23:55 PM(UTC)
krich

Not sure what I should be looking for. Can't seem to see anything that looks broken off.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 12:32:56 AM(UTC)
richappy

Clean the grouves in the top of the tranny spindle/shaft, are they rusted?
richappy  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 12:33:42 AM(UTC)
richappy

Clean the grouves in the top of the tranny spindle/shaft, are they rusted?
krich  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 1:04:17 PM(UTC)
krich

Nothing sticks up on the rod past the shaft, the bolt seems to be the only thing that transfers the power. It doesn't even look like there could have been anything that broke off. The plastic cam has splines on it that transfer power to the bottom part of the agitator and they are in perfect condition. The shoes in the cam that transfer power to the top part also look perfect. The top part of the cam is in pretty bad condition now since I tighten the bolt down between each load. The rubber washer is gone (split apart) and I'm using a metal one at this point. I'm going to replace the cam and bolt as soon as I get them in, but I'm worried about the threads in the rod at this point. I'm going to put loctite or some adhesive on the new bolt.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 1:21:30 PM(UTC)
richappy

This seems like a GE washer. Can't tell as you are missing the prefix numbers in front of the model # If the bottom of the agitator mates with a plastic drive block, that is the part that is stripped out
krich  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 1:28:03 PM(UTC)
krich

Full number is 110-82172110, only text on the top is Kenmore Heavy Duty Plus. It's belt driven. Thanks for taking the time to help. http://i.imgur.com/wkqFj.jpg picture of the cam inside the top of the agitator, black stuff is pretty much all grease, you can see one of the orange shoes engaged at the bottom
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply