Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MPHCO  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:31:27 AM(UTC)
MPHCO

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Performa PAV2200 that I replaced the transmission in. Afterward, it was making noise during agitation and excessively wobbling during spin. It eventually stopped spinning altogether (brake froze?).

I was advised to replace the brake rotor, stator, the snubber, and springs.

I did this and it runs, but the noise is still there and the drum still wobbles. I'm wondering what went wrong here? During the install, I followed the instructions in the service manual.

Links to vids showing the noise and wobble:

P1020186 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

P1020192 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

P1020193 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Please help, the laundry is piling up! Not sure where to go from here.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

MPHCO  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:56:05 AM(UTC)
MPHCO

Any advice on this? Not sure where to go from here.
sidfink43  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:08:04 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi MPHCO

I am not sure where to go either. It looks like you have done all of the obvious replacements that a tech would recommend for your problem. So I think you have to look for some less obvious solutions.

The most obvious of the less obvious is that the transmission was not replaced correctlly or that you got the wrong one or that the brakes are still hanging up.

Look at this service manual and see if it applies.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ary/docs/TDL-0017B-B.pdf

Also, it may be that despite your new springs, one of them is bad.

I know this sounds like going over old ground, but you have not left a whole lot of new ground to go over.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
MPHCO  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:28:39 AM(UTC)
MPHCO

Thanks for the reply. It's a bit of a mystery. Granted, I'm not experienced in this stuff, but am pretty good at turning a wrench.

I replaced the transmission with the kit referenced in the instructions you attached, and followed those instructions. though it seemed not everything was exactly the same as pictured. I believe it was just due to slight model variations.

Here's a thought. If the domed part at the top of the transmission (tub support cover) were a little bent, would that do it? It seems to have gotten a little damaged when I took off the old transmission/seal. But, everything seals up good and that part doesn't come in contact with the rotating tub.

Is there a way to tell by looking if one of the springs is bad?
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:35:46 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well darn, two of us are confused.

I don't think the top of the transmission is a problem.

Unless the springs are broken you cannot tell if one is bad by looking at it. Hopefully you still have the old springs. I would take what you think is the best one and replace each new spring one at a time. Run the machine after each replacement and see if that solves it.

Also, what happens if you try to turn the machine in each direction by hand? Do you get resistance? Do you get a noise?

Let us know if what you find out, and also let's invite anyone else who has an idea into this posting to see if they have some ideas.

Good luck, given all of your work, I would really like to be able for you to solve this one.
MPHCO  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 8:58:50 PM(UTC)
MPHCO

Posted this before, but it got lost.....

I do still have the old springs if necessary. It never had a wobble problem before taking it apart.

I tried turning the drunm by hand (belt on, power off) and it is really hard to turn. Also, after one medium load of wash, it now will not spin on it's own when turned on. So, running it has now maybe made the brake stick on?

Possibly the thrust bearing and brake release and/or engagement? I'll be pulling it apart again tomorrow. At least that's not a mystery any longer. I wonder if the brake dragging could contribute to the wobble? When in spin cycle, how quickly does the drum come to a stop if adjusted correctly?

Thanks for any help. I don't really want to spend any more money on it, but I'm already in deep! There must be a way to fix this thing.
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:00:11 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

I assume the difficult turning is in the direction of the spin.

It sounds like your brakes are hanging. I would reassemble the machine and see if that does not cure all your problems. Brakes hanging up could cause your wobble.

Let us know how it turns out, we are all curious.

Good luck and hang in there.
MPHCO  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:10:46 PM(UTC)
MPHCO

OK. So I haven't completley disassembled yet, but have taken the front off. Here are my observations:

- Trying to turn the drum from the top in either direction is really tough. Is it supposed to be easy in the opposite direction of spin?
- From the bottom, turning the pulley CCW (looking up) the drum and entire transmission spin. If I hold the pulley the drum will coast to the end of travel of the thrust washer. So it appears that when the pulley turns the thrust washer/bearing assemble CCW it releases the brake.
- From the bottom, turning the pulley CW, engages the transmission to turn the agitator back and forth. So, for the agitator to work, the motor reverses direction?
- It appears the pump bearing is shot, and that was what locked everthing up this time.
- springs appear to have good tension. But, that doesn't really mean anything.

From this, it seems the thrust bearing is adjusted correctly. What do you think?

When I reassembled previously, I used corn starch on the base per the instructions. I assume the purpose is as a dry lubricant, but could that make it too slick causing more wobble?

At the very least it seems I need a new pump, but I don't want to get it if I can't solve the other issues.

Mike
MPHCO  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:01:49 PM(UTC)
MPHCO

OK. Found something else.

While looking at how the drum spins I noticed some scraping between the top of the drum and the facia that goes on top. I took off the agitator and...... I had forgotten to tighten the four bolts that hold the drum to the spindle. I promise I wasn't drinking.

So, I put it back together after tightening hoping that was the problem. It seemed to help when no clothes in the drum, but it still wobbles when clothes are in it (even dry ones).

Now I looked underneath checking on the snubber/stator/base interface. Not sure how it is supposed to be, but it seems there is some slight movement possible between the stator and the snubber and I notice plastic shavings already. Thought I had tighten those stator bolts really well.

Next up is pulling the drum to look more closely at that snubber/stator area. Also, I blew into the water level hose to allow the agitation cycle and at least empty with no load, that screeching noise is no longer there.
MPHCO  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:33:33 PM(UTC)
MPHCO

So, I looked at the interface between the snubber and stator. I tightened the bolts as much as possible, they were aleady tight. I don't think this is the issue, so I'm not inclined right now to remove the brake assembly right now as it seems to be working OK.

The question is: if the pump is bad, could that add enough unevenness into the pulley system to cause wobble that can't be compensated for by the spring suspension?

Either way the pump is bad, so since I'm apparently building a new washer (doh!), I went ahead and ordered it. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply