Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Coronet  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 12:13:19 PM(UTC)
Coronet

Groups: Registered

Hi

I have an older Inglis washer that is malfunctioning.

-It will sometimes overfill, but the pump is working and works most of the time, just on the first cycle it won't. It might be that it pumps when directed by the cycle, but not when directed to by the fill gauge, so I'll be looking at that in a moment (wanted to post in case it was something else).

-the spin cycle isn't working. The latch switch was broken, so I wired the leads together to test and the spin cycle immediately started working again, for about one cycle, then stopped and now won't spin again.

Belts seem fine, motor seems fine, washer is agitating. I think the cycling is fine, although sometimes it seems to just stop, but I think that is when it's supposed to be spinning and isn't. Will double check that as well.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, will post again if I get any more info.

Garnet
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:17:59 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Coronet

I have a feeling your machine is not a U.S. model, in which case we are going to be very limited in any advice we can give you.

We can say that on the overfilling, if it continues even when you shut down the machine it is probably a stuck water valve, and the water valve assembly will have to be replaced.

If it stops when you shut down the machine the problem is in the water level system. Check the tube that comes from the water level switch and if it is ok, the water level switch itself is likely your problem.

Good luck, if you get more info let us know.
Coronet  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:49:35 AM(UTC)
Coronet

Thanks for the input, I'll check it out. Did some checking and Inglis is a sub-brand of Whirlpool, so most of the mechanicals are likely the same, if that makes any difference.

G
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:41:35 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes, Inglis is a Whirlpool product but until recently that brand name was sold in Europe and a few other countries and not the in the U. S.

In the U. S. Whirlpool has sold lower priced products under the Roper brand name, and just now is using the Inglis name.

Anyway, the point is that we can give you generic advice but probably cannot comment specifically on your machine.

Good luck with the water valve, and let us know how it works out.
Coronet  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:31:47 PM(UTC)
Coronet

Thanks, so I cleaned out a filter at the top of the basin and it appears to stop filling correctly.

However it's still not spin drying. I can hear a bit of a metallic rubbing type of sound when the spin cycle is on. It's not really loud, could have always been there. I don't see any broken belts, so maybe something in the transmission is broken or...?

Also it doesn't seem to get to the spin cycle, or when it's in it (but not spinning) it won't cycle out of it. The timer on the front seems to get stuck at that cycle and it just keeps pumping (past when there is any water in the basin.

Any thoughts where to look next?

Thanks very much in advance.

Garnet
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:08:47 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, if it is made similar to the U. S. models it can be the clutch (likely) or the drive block.

Here are instructions for replacing the clutch assembly for a U. S. model, you should be able to tell if they are applicable.

Clutch Replacement on Whirlpool and Kenmore Washers

When you take off the agitator you will be able to see if the drive block is ok, if it is then proceed to the clutch.

It is somewhat of a mystery as to why the timer does not advance in spin, you may have multiple problems but check out the clutch (if there is one) first.

Good luck, let us know if any of this applies.
Coronet  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 8:59:37 PM(UTC)
Coronet

Thanks very much for the advice. Checked it out today (been busy!) and it has different problems: when I start the cycle it won't add water, it just starts agitating.

Could it be the timer?

Thank you!
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 5:54:45 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Wow, this one has been a load of trouble.

Check out the water pressure system first as it sounds as though the timer thinks the water level is correct, and that is why it starts agitating.

Make sure the clear plastic tube from the tub to the pressure switch is clear. Then disconnect it from the tub end and blow in it and see if you hear a click. If not, and if you think it is not resetting with no air pressure in the tube, replace the pressure switch.

If that does not do it, then the timer is the next suspect.

Good luck
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply