Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dragonwerx  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 3:18:05 PM(UTC)
dragonwerx

Groups: Registered

I have a maytag washer model #A7500. The drive belt went and I ordered and replaced both belts. I am pretty sure I have the right belts, the number on the package is the same as the number on this site and I bought them from this site. The Idler Pulley?, it doesn't call it that in the exploded diagrams I have looked at, does not seem to put enough tension on the belts. The spin belt will spin it but the agitator will not agitate and after I let it spin to get the water out the belts and pulleys were pretty hot. I don't want to pull the whole washing machine apart to find out what puts tension on that idler then find out I am barking up the wrong tree. In all the diagrams I have looked at it doesn't show the shaft or the tension spring? that the pulley goes on or what puts tension on it.
It just shows the pulley and calls it a pulley?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 6:30:45 PM(UTC)
applianceman

There is no idler pulley on this washer and the belts should be loose. The way the belts get tension is when the motor reaches full speed it moves to the left tightening the belts.

Take the belts off and attempt to turn the transmission pulley by hand. It should turn freely both ways. Post what you find and we will go from there.

Clothes Washer Repair Guide
dragonwerx  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:06:49 AM(UTC)
dragonwerx

The transmission pulley does not turn "freely" although I can turn it. I am not up on this subject and suspected maybe there was a brake on it that released when the washer started. If I have to go to much deeper into this I may just buy a new washer. I am a machinist and a back yard mechanic and can repair this if I take the time, but at this stage in the washers life is it worth it and at what cost?
And how long can I hold out against an angry housewife while I take the time to repair it and stave off the cost of a new washer?

Thank you so much for the help
Jerry
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:17:03 AM(UTC)
applianceman

There is a brake but it releases to spin and you say it spins ok. The brake stays locked during wash. When you turn it one way (I think clockwise) the brakes disengage and the transmission and tub should turn. When you turn it the other way the agitator will turn alone. If you want to try to fix it I will help as much as possible.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply