Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cricket1977  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:07:29 PM(UTC)
cricket1977

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore 80 Series model 110.28822791. It makes a terrible noise when it empties the water and goes into the spin cycle. It takes the water out but I have to wring out the clothes. I have no experience with mechanical things and desperately need some help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:06:50 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Will it spin and wash? If not I would say the motor coupling is bad. This page will help you in replacing this part Whirlpool Washer Disassembly Guide
cricket1977  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:14:41 PM(UTC)
cricket1977

it will wash and drain but when it spins it doesn't get the clothes wrung out good and I have to hand wring. It is a kenmore not a whirlpool.
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:24:00 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Whirlpool makes just about all of Kenmore washers. If it will wash it is obviously not the coupling. It may be pumping slowly and taking most of the spin cycle to pump out. It may also be the clutch slipping.
cricket1977  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:59:45 PM(UTC)
cricket1977

It makes an aweful noise the whole time it is draining and spinning. How do I tell if it is the clutch? I really know nothing and I can't afford to call a repairman. Can you give me any other advice? Any help would be so appreciated.
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:28:14 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Fill it with water (highest water level), put a few towels in it then turn the washer to the beginning of the spin cycle and start the spin cycle. Then open the door and press the lid switch with a screwdriver or something so that you can watch it. The water should start to pump out (the tub will not spin at this time). Then once the water is out the tub should spin at a good speed and after a few minutes take the towels out and see if you can ring water out.

If it takes a long time to pump out (shouldn’t take much longer than a 1-1/2 or 2 minutes) and the spin is not long enough the drain may be partially clogged. This wouldn’t explain the noise unless the clog was in the pump and normally that would stop the motor completely and the washer wouldn’t wash, spin or pump out but it could be worth looking into.

If the tub never spins or spins slowly you have a problem with the clutch or the transmission. It is a lot to fixing this problem and you must be very mechanically inclined. We have ruled out the coupling because it will wash and the lid switch because it will pump out.
cricket1977  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:47:44 PM(UTC)
cricket1977

well....the water drains ....but it doesn't spin.....sounds like bad news I guess. Is it worth fixing or do I buy another....Neither is a choice I was hoping for. What's your opinion?????
applianceman  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:11:22 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Double check to be sure that it will agitate and if it will, your problem is in the clutch or transmission but I am not sure which one. The clutch doesn’t cost that much but like I said I don’t know which one is your problem. If it is the transmission no I wouldn’t put that much into it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply