Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Peasaint  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 1:29:46 PM(UTC)
Peasaint

Groups: Registered

We bought a used and 'reconditioned' washer from a respectable business two years ago and all has been fine until a week ago. At that time the washer wouldn't enter a rinse cycle (wouldn't spin). If the timer dial was moved, it would enter the spin cycle and finish. For the week we used this method to spin the clothes. This morning, it will fill, agitate but not rinse or spin dry. I think we may have broken the only remaining "dog" on the transmission block as when in the spin / rinse cycle ... it makes a teriffic fast 'clicking' noise. I suspect the remainder of the pins are attempting to engage to do what they are suppose to do, spin the tub. I've searched for model numbers and have found only two ... both of which are the part number for the area of the number found , (rear control panel and top lid). This is an Whirlpool Estate "Heavy Duty Super Capacity" washer as stated on the front panel. I tried the 'location' page from your sight but no luck. Any idea as to the block, dogs or do I have to open it up to find a number? Hope you (or anyone out there can help).

Thanks,

Peasaint
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 3:42:40 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The name plate with the model number on such washers is always on the frame under the lid. Without it it's almost impossible to find most of replacement parts. Especially because one of them could be a bad timer.

Gene.
Peasaint  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 4:52:45 PM(UTC)
Peasaint

As my title says Gene, tried that nothing there. Nothing on the back nor on the front panel sides. I found two numbers: 8525146-A (part number for the panel back) and 3357978 which was embossed on the back dashboard. Other than that, nothing. I tried tonight to open the back (or remove the casing for that matter) ... no luck. It's all put in place with plastic expansion clips and I'm not about to go there without knowing what I'm releasing and getting into. Though speasking with a few friends this evening, ... sounds pretty good bet to be the 'dogs', given the history with the way we've used it for the last week. It's disconnected right now, trying to dry was was in there in the spiffy Whirlpool Estate Dryer we have (replaced the heating element from you a year ago). I'm really starting to question Whirlpool. True they make Kenmore (or vice versa)?

Peasaint
ApplianceJunk  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 5:22:31 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

Sounds like you may have a Whirlpool Direct Drive top load washer.
Not saying the timer is at fault, but this video will show you how to access the timer.

AppliancePartsPros's Channel - YouTube

The old timer may also have the part number on it if you do decide the timer is faulty.
Peasaint  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 5:26:54 PM(UTC)
Peasaint

Thanks Gene, I'll check it out. Time to call it a night on this part of the east coast ... 4:30 AM comes early. Unlike my washer, work is ongoing, Thanks again for the help. Will be in touch.
Peasaint  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:58:16 PM(UTC)
Peasaint

I've been reading through the posts and I have to admit, ... it's starting to sound like a timer problem, ... the racket it's making may really be the timer AND NOT the damaged dogs as first thought. The washer won't work in any cycle. My wife said it simply died during a wash. As I stated earlier, ... the rinse cycle was out of commission but the spin worked along with the others. The lid switch also appears to be okay, so thanks to your great video on YouTube, I'm going to go ahead and check on the timer for a part number. It's a great place to start as I'm having one hell of a time trying to get into the cabinet.

Thanks again Gene!
Peasaint  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:25:57 PM(UTC)
Peasaint

I found the timer part number ... 8541270 (B). Not available so I've contacted the service/parts deartment of Appliance Parts Pros and waiting for a reply. Guess we'll go from there.

Thanks again.
ApplianceJunk  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:35:53 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

Glad you found the part number, I checked the number and it seems as if it's in stock.

WHIRLPOOL 8541270 Timer, Control (60 Hz.) (motor Not A Service Part), AP3181958 | AppliancePartsPros.com

btw: you can call me AJ ;)
Peasaint  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:31:40 PM(UTC)
Peasaint

Just installed it and ran it for a test. It's a no go so I go back to my original feeling, the dogs are stripped for it makes a, for lack of a better term, ... a plastic shounding whirling grind as if something is broken and stuck in some sort of an impeller. Like a blow dryer with a bad fan blade, kicking against the plastic housing. That's just what it sounds like. I didn't evben bother to see if it would finish a cycle, ... as soon as it engaged to the 'agitate' I shut it down, ... I was agitated enough for the both of us. Needless to say, ... I'm not very happy right now. If the damn thing was easy to get into, I'd just go do it. At this point I don't know what to think. Are "dogs' easy to change? I've got three, ... 2 Labs and a German Shepherd ... never tried it on them, (yuk, yuk).
Peasaint  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:20:05 PM(UTC)
Peasaint

Just listened to it again ... it makes me shudder! It's a definte 'grinding' from the cabinet box (casing). It pumped out fine after it was filled and tested, ... 'cept for the noise factor so the tub wasn't engaged. It's not the transmission or at least I don't think so as it seems when those crap out, ... they make no noise. This is number three on the 'three trees of life' right now. Between a 1/8th tank of heating oil, a hole in the exhaust line of my '97 Saturn which has a bad thermostat, and now the washer ... damn, ... this new england life in Massachusetts has me seeking greener pastures. Any ideas (and yes, I still have no model number). ?

P.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply